Old Fram 8A cut open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some pics of an old Fram 8A I found in my garage, forgot I had it.

I figured I would cut it open for all to see. It looks pretty good.

Pic #1
23922381962_12ef7f8865_k.jpg

Pic #2
23662737589_126351c7cb_k.jpg

Pic #3
23662739099_5403f53265_z.jpg

Pic #4
23403817033_3b2d9293cd_k.jpg

I don't own a filter cutter so the can is pretty messed up.

Originally Posted By: stchman
Here are some pics of an old Fram 8A I found in my garage, forgot I had it.
I figured I would cut it open for all to see. It looks pretty good.

The paint or the media?
A person could easily make it to 250K with these filters and a lot of people have, proof that the oil is more important than the filter.

I think the filter was made sometime back in the 90s. Pleat count looks decent. The top plate has a little bit of rust, but it has been in my garage for over 15 years.

My vehicles use cartridge filters, and they have maybe triple the pleats. Is this Fram a good filter? I am ignorant to what the inside of a can filter should look like, or what application this filter is for.

Classic small block Ford V8 application-looks a lot like the ancient PH8A I cut a couple years ago, reaaaly wide pleat spacing. From the days when I didn't know better!

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
My vehicles use cartridge filters, and they have maybe triple the pleats. Is this Fram a good filter? I am ignorant to what the inside of a can filter should look like, or what application this filter is for.
this filter used to fit pretty much every ford,chrysler,toyota and datsun on the road

I thought you were carving a pumpkin. I used to use these thinking I was using the best. The adbv looks different and strange.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The adbv looks different and strange.

It looks a bit archaic. Wonder if this filter has some kind of date code on the can.

Looks pretty good????
You mean it looks good compared to other ocod's ??
You could not compare this filter to a Wix or another quality filter.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Looks pretty good????
You mean it looks good compared to other ocod's ??
You could not compare this filter to a Wix or another quality filter.

And why not?

You can't compare it because unless you were blind you can see the quality difference and pretty much everyone in the automotive industry will agree..

No it's not a good filter but even those lowly ocod filters won't hurt anything. It's just you can get better for less.

Back in the early 80's Fram starting calling them "Wearguards". That was the last time I used them. They were highly rated back then.

Last edited:
I used those on my SBC race cars for years (remote dual filter setup) - never had a problem. I did feel the can was a little thin so I eventually switched to AC-Delco. (I was worried about a small rock getting thrown up and going through the can - instant oil leak in the vicinity of the RF tire - not good)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back