Old Bikes And Old API

I ran 15w-50 M1 for a 4,000 mile oil change interval. The actual zinc and phosphorus in the used oil analysis was way below what is specified by Mobil. 1013 zinc/889 phos. Mobil specs 1300/1200. Could have been an anomaly however it still was a solid 40 weight. M1 10w40 4T was slightly higher on the sus vis at 5,345 mi, zinc (1204) was just under what Mobil specs (1300 ppm) however phosphorus was 987 with spec of 1200 ppm.

Nice old bike, I like old Hondas.

If you look at page 12 of the Amsoil-funded PDF, you'll see Maxima has the most ZDDP. Mobil 1 Racing 4T has a lot, too.

For high performance I use Motul 7100 4T which has not so much zinc but enough, but is a 100% ester based "real" synthetic oil. Their marketing says "Meets the following standards: API SN and JASO MA2. Backwards compatible with API SM/SL/SJ/SH/SG " but then again every API grade is supposed to be backwards compatible/better than the last.

I don't use any oil in a wet clutch bike that is not at least JASO MA.

If you can't find enough zinc in your local oils, you can always add some yourself.

The only oil recommendation my friends 1976 Honda Goldwing had was, use a API rated motor oil. That bikes motor oil also was used in the trans. There was nothing saying don't use this type, or that type of oil. And the factory oci was 8,000 miles. It was water cooled and if I recall correctly, he used to run 10w40 year round in it. Ran great until it was wrecked.,,,,,

I have still to buy some yet, but as always oil is a pain in the SRS

Working my way front to back trying to repair some of the abominations that the previous owner managed,

good job I bought a spares bike!

Nice old bike, I like old Hondas.

If you look at page 12 of the Amsoil-funded PDF, you'll see Maxima has the most ZDDP. Mobil 1 Racing 4T has a lot, too.

For high performance I use Motul 7100 4T which has not so much zinc but enough, but is a 100% ester based "real" synthetic oil. Their marketing says "Meets the following standards: API SN and JASO MA2. Backwards compatible with API SM/SL/SJ/SH/SG " but then again every API grade is supposed to be backwards compatible/better than the last.

I don't use any oil in a wet clutch bike that is not at least JASO MA.

If you can't find enough zinc in your local oils, you can always add some yourself.
Keep in mind that is an older set of data in that test, Mobil rates 10w-40 4t at 1300 zinc 1200 phosphorus currently. Current V-Twin 20w-50 has basically the same spec as that data shows.

10w40 4T (20w50 V-Twin as well) based on my UOA of both over the past few years have a nice dose of boron, which I feel is not given enough credit as an anti-wear additive if you read up on it.

To me with that engine, and the history of folks saying there were issues with cams (however I wonder how much of it was oiling to the head), the more zinc the better. M1 V-Twin 20w50 will do that with 1750 ppm zinc, some moly and a good dose of boron. M1 10w40 4T has 1300 ppm zinc, not much moly but also a good dose of boron. However if you want a 10w40, Red Line 10w40 MC oil will give you 2260 ppm zinc along with 130 ppm moly.

My ZRX 1200 has known crappy cams, as did the ZZR 1200. Cam's are interchangeable, plug and play, and it's a common modification to put ZZR cams in the ZRX 1200 like I did for a performance boost. Since doing that swap and running M1 oils, either 10w40 or 20w50, for the past 15,000 mi, there is no visible increase in the small amount of cam pitting that existed on a few lobes of the used set of cams.
does that work on k1200 also?
seems they have some swappability in there with the GT/R/RS/LT variants in same valvetrain, diff power ratings.

does that work on k1200 also?
seems they have some swappability in there with the GT/R/RS/LT variants in same valvetrain, diff power ratings.
I have no clue or knowledge about a K1200. I would check with forums and other sources that specialize in that bike. Kawasaki introduced the ZRX1200 in 2001 and based the ZZR1200 on the engine but added a downdraft head, slightly higher compression pistons and more aggressive cams. When on the move with ram air, there was nothing that could touch a ZZR1200 short of a Hayabusa or 1000cc sport bike. Period tests have the ZZR1200 at 10.12 seconds and 136 mph in the 1/4 mile. Pretty stout for a bike that weighs just over 600 pounds and designed as a sport tourer.

Last edited:
Back