Ok to use fleet oil in all my vehicles?

JMK

Looking for opinions on doing this. My fleet consists of a 2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7, 2000 Silverado 2500 6.0, 79 Lincoln Mark V 351/400, Kubota BX2370, Kubota B3030, Simplicity garden tractor 23hp V-twin. I would like to narrow down my oil stock. I would like to use Rotella T6 10w30 diesel oil in all of them. I know a 10w30 is not spec for a few of them. TIA

Would you do it?

You can absolutely do that but not sure you even need the diesel version - just grab a solid full syn 10w/30.

Reactions: JMK
Sounds like it would be fine. Main thing I can think of is, how cold does it get and is a 10w appropriate for your winters?

Many people like to run 10w40 in their v twins, personally I run synthetic 10w30 small engine oil and have zero usage over 100hrs.

Unless the gasoline engine rating comes back to Rotella 10W-30, I wouldn't use it in a gasoline engine that you care about.

Mobil 1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck is dual rated with API SN and CK-4.

I've said this before, there is no one size fits all when it comes to oil. Just buy the correct oil for each application and don't worry about having multiple oils on hand. Is it really that big of a deal to have more than one oil in your stash? Why does everyone want to pare it down to just one oil for everything? I'm not sure what that accomplishes.

I didn't see any gasoline engine approvals on the container so I wouldn't use it in your gasoline fueled vehicles. There are plenty of dual-rated oils on the market that carry both gas and diesel ratings but the Rotella T6 10W-30 isn't one of them.

I've said this before, there is no one size fits all when it comes to oil. Just buy the correct oil for each application and don't worry about having multiple oils on hand. Is it really that big of a deal to have more than one oil in your stash? Why does everyone want to pare it down to just one oil for everything? I'm not sure what that accomplishes.
Just buying 1 pail is handy, and for those vehicles in that climate, I would run T6 10W30. I run T4 15W40 in everything but my cars, as I am needing better flow at really low temperatures.

I didn't see any gasoline engine approvals on the container so I wouldn't use it in your gasoline fueled vehicles. There are plenty of dual-rated oils on the market that carry both gas and diesel ratings but the Rotella T6 10W-30 isn't one of them.
Doesn't matter if all 3 are old. If one cared to not kill the cat they still need to pass inspection they should be using 10w-40 or 20w-50. But if none of those two newer vehicles burn or burn much oil then hdeo does nothing to them.

Absolutely, that oil is the minimum the diesels need and more than enough for what the gas engines need. I don't understand people who are against this.
So why doesn't Shell label the oil with API SL then? May be more going on than what anyone here knows. No reason to take a chance when alternate lubes are available and proven.

So why doesn't Shell label the oil with API SL then? May be more going on than what anyone here knows. No reason to take a chance when alternate lubes are available and proven.
Yeah they can do that vut I think it's because diesel forums when talking about hdeo and dual ratings say that dual rated oils are automatically inferior because they're "weakened for gas engines" and for years I believed that dual rated oils were worse than non dual rated oils but still bought them since they're cheap though now I know it's not true but that way of thinking still exists. But no, 10w-30 hdeo won't damage an old gas engine unless it's burning lots of oil though regular gas 10w-30 will still damage the cat anyway just slightly slower since it has a bit less zinc.

It can accomplish simplicity, smaller inventory and potentially reduced cost. I don't advocate "one size fits all" for everyone, just me.

My Mazda 6 and Ford Focus have had a steady diet of xW-20 and are no worse for wear because of it. My Jag and E-250, as well as my lawn mower, generator, high pressure washer, wood chipper and snow blower, have always been filled with xW-30.
Even though the newer cars have done well, I don't think they have experienced any extra benefit from the "thinner" oil.
Even fuel economy appears to be no better with xW-20.

The EPA rating on the 2011 Focus, with automatic transmission, was 33 MPG. The best fuel economy I've ever gotten in the loaded (weight, not features) Focus is about 37 U.S. MPG. That was on a mountain trip, from Victoria to Edmonton. An average prairie run normally measures around 34 MPG, with 4 passengers and luggage (about 700ish lbs).
This past weekend I did a very cramped 450km camping trip, with 5 passengers, a jam packed 11 cubic foot roof box and trunk.
The Focus, filled with Pennzoil 0W-30 Euro LX, returned an average of 33.5 MPG.

For me, it just makes sense to use one, very good oil. Cheers

Last edited:
Sounds like it would be fine. Main thing I can think of is, how cold does it get and is a 10w appropriate for your winters?

Many people like to run 10w40 in their v twins, personally I run synthetic 10w30 small engine oil and have zero usage over 100hrs.
My winters can go 25 or so. No severe cold.

Thanks for the replies. None of the engines burn or leak a drop. The Lincoln only runs for 5 minutes a month when gets moved out for a wash. The other two vehicles are off and on daily drivers. The Kubotas are used way less than the simplicity which is my lawnmower. I think I'm going to try the one oil approach, the missing gas engine approval doesn't bother me. I am a 3,000-4,000 change guy.

So why doesn't Shell label the oil with API SL then?
Because even though it met the S rating, a few years ago, maybe when CK-4 was introduced, Shell made the decision to remove the dual rating because there are oils better suited than Rotella for gasoline applications. There was a quote from a Shell employee expressing that. I didn't save it, and I can't find it now, but that's what they said.

Does Rotella meet an S rating now? I've heard but haven't seen that it may be labeled with a dual rating again. When asked what SOPUS product to use in gasoline engines with OHV flat tappet, high valve spring pressure, Shell's recent response was Rotella.

I've said this before, there is no one size fits all when it comes to oil.
I agree with that but also there is no "one size" vehicle need, either. Identical vehicles, one in International Falls, MN and the other in San Antonio TX would have very different operating conditions during their lives. Too bad the MFG's try to force one grade, (like an 0-20) on everyone everywhere for the CAFE agenda.

Reactions: Yuk
Back