OK to change back to dino?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From this forum, I realize that the new dinos do a great job at 3k intervals. Would it be OK to change from a synthetic back to a dino? Would this cause any problems in an engine that has only used synthetic for the last two oil change (3k) intervals??

I like the idea of a good oil for a low price, and shorter intervals do not bother me.

Yes, your engine will sieze within 5 to 10 miles
cool.gif

Seriosuly, I ran mobil 1 in my last car for the 1st 40,000 miles, then went back to conventional because of the cost. With my particular car, it actually ran better with pennzoil conventional.

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:
How can a car run better with a different oil?

Cars do run better with different oils, no doubt. My parents' Passat V6 used to run like crap with dino 15W-40, but it runs as smooth as silk with Amsoil 10W-40 AMO. The difference was huge.

OK guys... I know this was a dumb question.

Personally, I did not think changing back was an issue, but I did a search and found people posting some Toyota propaganda that said it was a bad thing. I just wanted more feedback.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:
OK guys... I know this was a dumb question.

Personally, I did not think changing back was an issue, but I did a search and found people posting some Toyota propaganda that said it was a bad thing. I just wanted more feedback.
smile.gif

That's exactly what it is, propaganda. Toyota is the only car maker to state that it's unsafe to switch back to dino from synthetic, and they have zero proof to substantiate their claims that it's unadvisable to do.

The myth that once you use synthetic, "you can never go back to conventional" is one of the most perplexing and persistant rumors about oil around. I wonder what the thinking is behind it? If there's no backward compatibility with synthetic how could there be forward compatibility?

Drew,
I have noticed the same thing to be true with my 93 Pontiac Grand Prix LE 3.1 V6 by changing to Pennzoil 5W30 from Mobil 1 5W30.

Good Day,
Steven

I've had no problems changing back to dino from synthetic in my '95 Taurus SHO.
I use to use Mobil 1 10w-30 and changed to Castrol GTX 5w-30. Car seems to like it, plus, I dont hear the split second clacking noise at start-up that I use to hear with Mobil 1.

It is the same to me. I got the noise like TM said then I try my 10W30, the truck loves it.
I go to local toyota dealer, they sell only $1.49/qt of 10W30(SL). cheaper than Kmark
smile.gif
The guy said Toyota oil is Mobile dino oil. any one can confirm this? Some time I mixed 30% M1 with Toyota oil. It feel the same to me.

quote:

Originally posted by Tony M.:
It is the same to me. I got the noise like TM said then I try my 10W30, the truck loves it.
I go to local toyota dealer, they sell only $1.49/qt of 10W30(SL). cheaper than Kmark
smile.gif
The guy said Toyota oil is Mobile dino oil. any one can confirm this? Some time I mixed 30% M1 with Toyota oil. It feel the same to me.

Yes, the Toyota motor oil is Mobil dino oil. I know because I use to work the parts department for a toyota dealership for a couple of years.
smile.gif

What model toyota do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back