OK i'm as dumb as a doorknob and i need help understanding additive claims of "bonding with the metal"

Ok so help me please understand.
There are certain friction modifiers that claim to "Bond" with the metal surface.
But i know from experience, that no matter how well, or long, you let your old oil drain there is always some of the old oil and metallic wear particles left in the engine and oil pan and those particles will mix with the new oil. These are facts.
So..
if the friction modifier "bonds' with the metal would it not also bond some of those metal particles,in oil suspension along with it to the contacting surfaces??

Last edited:
Don't worry about leftovers, what matters is 95% new oil in the sump.

The traditional EP - the "zinc" compounds - bond at high heat and pressure as needed.

And if you have a lot of visible "particles" on a worn-in engine. you have a major wear issue that need to be addressed - like cam or chain.

What product are you looking at?

what are you talking about specifically?
Moly for example "Plates" metal surfaces.. if that helps you understand

Ok so help me please understand.
There are certain friction modifiers that claim to "Bond" with the metal surface.
But i know from experience, that no matter how well, or long, you let your old oil drain there is always some of the old oil and metallic wear particles left in the engine and oil pan and those particles will mix with the new oil. These are facts.
So..
if the friction modifier "bonds' with the metal would it not also bond some of those metal particles,in oil suspension along with it to the contacting surfaces??
I believe you're referring to mostly Polar additives. Here is some additional information.

Back