OilExtreme additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are some old, closed discussions on this, and I wonder if there is any new information or experience a few years later.

Looking at their website they don't seem to be social media nerds or marketing wizards (which is not necessarily a bad thing), so there is not much (actually almost nothing) of that typical "influencer" or Youtube reviews out there.

From what I understand it is based on a "overbased" modified and tweaked Calcium Petrolium Sulfonate complex - it's quite interesting and makes a lot of sense in my book.

Here is some read if you want to go down that rabbit hole:

And just for the record, this is about the additive concentrate, not the oil blends.

Frank

ZDDP is what you want for a flat tappet, not EP additives. They aren’t gear teeth.
Well when one of the world wide most respected and famous living engine builders - David Vizard - is not only full of praise,
but - after testing it - even invested in that company, I guess it is worth a second look.

Well when one of the world wide most respected and famous living engine builders - David Vizard - is not only full of praise,
but - after testing it - even invested in that company, I guess it is worth a second look.
Yeah, right. For the most part those dudes don't have a clue when it comes to things like this. We've seen it many times, completely untrue statements posted on flashy websites as if they are the truth, when they are anything but. This isn't the first time, FishFry. Maybe you're just new.

Where in Germany are you located? Is this product available to you?

"this dude" seriously?

This "dude" is a leading tech author with more than 60 years of experience under his belt - cam companies hire this "dude" to run tests for them.

But let me ask you - what is your experience with this product?

Have you build a test engine and run dyno tests with it?
Have you used it in racing for a few seasons?
Have you ever used it at all?

I live in Bavaria, and yeah, I can order it.

Frank

"this dude" seriously?

This "dude" is a leading tech author with more than 60 years of experience under his belt - cam companies hire this "dude" to run tests for them.

Frank
I do know how EP additives work, where and when. This is not it.

I would say it is you that does not know.

"this dude" seriously?

Frank
Since the germans have recognized LSPI as a real threat to their smaller displacement turbocharged engines, does this additive increase the risk for LSPI?

Since the germans have recognized LSPI as a real threat to their smaller displacement turbocharged engines, does this additive increase the risk for LSPI?
I don't know. The SwRI is trying to understand the reasons for LSPI and SPI since years, and their tests have shown engine oils maybe can be formulated to prevent LSPI - but that's all just band-aids without recognizing the elephant in the room .

Basically that stupid downsizing was the cardinal sin.

There are some old, closed discussions on this, and I wonder if there is any new information or experience a few years later.

Looking at their website they don't seem to be social media nerds or marketing wizards (which is not necessarily a bad thing), so there is not much (actually almost nothing) of that typical "influencer" or Youtube reviews out there.

From what I understand it is based on a "overbased" modified and tweaked Calcium Petrolium Sulfonate complex - it's quite interesting and makes a lot of sense in my book.

Here is some read if you want to go down that rabbit hole:

And just for the record, this is about the additive concentrate, not the oil blends.

Frank

$51.50 for a 16 ounce bottle, maybe buy this stuff and either use it or go get a VOA done on this product.

$51.50 for a 16 ounce bottle, maybe buy this stuff and either use it or go get a VOA done on this product.
Actually I find a used oil analysis more interesting, since it tells me what it actually does.

OilAnalysis,JoeNemechekwUnocal_sm.jpg

Actually I find a used oil analysis more interesting, since it tells me what it actually does.

View attachment 137942
Really? What does that say it does except show the imagination of somebody IRT a spectrographic analysis? Those comments at the bottom are unwarranted based on a UOA.

More examples of the goofy things this type of analysis means to some people. You can indeed measure the effectiveness of an additive on wear but this is not the method. There is a very good and technical reason for that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back