OIl Grade Suggestion for 300k 6.0L Chevy..

What's the point of using a 0W Oil in California?

While it does get pretty cold where Im at the 0 part isnt so meaningful. (except in pull start devices in the cold)

What is meaningful is that it's a light 40 with excellent properties that is (or was) extremely affordable and almost ubiquitous on shelfs erywhere.

This one product works great in just about everything from my air cooled little honda 2K's , and lawn equipment to my 700HP V10 or Cat diesel motorhome.

In the op's application the properties I recommended it for are

1. the grade when hot (40), should slow down some of the blow by.
2. the price - its typically around 24.00 for a 5er
3. It will probably work fine in everything in just about everything else he has.

Last edited:
The downside to 0W-40 is there is a bunch of VI in it to make the spread work - and it tends to shear - because the OP is moving through so much oil he wont really be effected (nor do most anyway) by this.

My titan will shear it a full grade down in 7500 miles.

The downside to 0W-40 is there is a bunch of VI in it to make the spread work - and it tends to shear - because the OP is moving through so much oil he wont really be effected (nor do most anyway) by this.

My titan will shear it a full grade down in 7500 miles.
That's because it's a cheap consumer product with a high price tag. If a 0W40 is needed for cold starts, Delvac is the answer for HD applications. If 0W40 is not required why use it? Go with 5W40, 10W40, 15W40, 20W40 25W40 or SAE 40 instead.

That's because it's a cheap consumer product with a high price tag. If a 0W40 is needed for cold starts, Delvac is the answer for HD applications. If 0W40 is not required why use it? Go with 5W, 10W, 15W, 20W 25W40 or SAE 40 instead.

huh? It's cheap because they make a ton of it. Not because it's inferior.

Delvac is more per 5 er and he doenst need HD oil.

Once you get above 10W you are pretty much out of spec for other potential uses.

That's because it's a cheap consumer product with a high price tag. If a 0W40 is needed for cold starts, Delvac is the answer for HD applications. If 0W40 is not required why use it? Go with 5W40, 10W40, 15W40, 20W40 25W40 or SAE 40 instead.

Even if were as cheap - Delvac has or used have a bunch of zinc. (who's familiar with the latest formula?)

If this is still that case this is not good for his catalytic converters especially since hes moving a ton of oil through the engine at this stage hes at higher risk of poisoning them.

Well, when at operating temp, it's just a 40 grade after all and the 0W part doesn't have any meaning anymore.
But likewise it doesn’t hurt anything either. If the oil you want has the approval or license you’re looking for and just happens to have a 0W winter rating then there is no reason not to use it.

Especially when cost is a consideration. Mobil 1 0W-40 or the equivalent Castrol product from Walmart would be a good candidate here.

That's because it's a cheap consumer product with a high price tag. If a 0W40 is needed for cold starts, Delvac is the answer for HD applications. If 0W40 is not required why use it? Go with 5W40, 10W40,

0w40 oils are far from "cheap consumer products". That viscosity spread requires a very high quality base oil. Add on top of that the rigorous approvals that most of them carry, and your statement couldn't be further from the truth.

Thanks for all the suggestions... I am going to put 15w-40 Chevron Delo Synthetic in it in 800 miles and report back on how it worked out here in a few months with report on how it affected my oil pressure and oil consumtion, currently, Truck has 25PSi at Hot idle(used to always be 40psi) and on Freeway 37.5psi (used to always be 55psi).... Truck runs perfect and im still on my original engine/Trans/ Cats...

Here's a pic of my Truck at Pismo Beach, Ca... 294,300 miles click on photo for a clear image..

Attachments

• IMG_6099 (1).jpg
    IMG_6099 (1).jpg
    173 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Lets see some pics, I love that era of GM HD trucks. You could run either weight with no consequences in your 6.0. Unrelated but I've run the 15w50 in my 2001 2500 with the 8.1 since that is well established as a simple fix for the oil consumption issue that engine has. I've had good results with Mobil's High Mileage 10w40 reducing consumption in a 5.3 Yukon. I've also had good results with Valvoline's High Mileage 10w40. Since you've been running Mobil so long, I'd try their 10w40 High Mileage.
Pic posted!

Delo 400 XSP Synthetic 15W40 CK-4/SN, SN plus

40C 104.5
100C 14.8
HTHS>4.1
PP -48C
FP 236C
SA 1.0
BN 10
P .11
Zn .12

Warranty approval 1997-2000 gasoline API SJ, HDEO Diesel CH-4
The above product is very close to passing 10w40.

MacManus99, user friendly did quite the rewrite on that.​

(not sure how this ended up bolded? )
Ha! Yeah, I knew I was going to called out on this. (and rightfully so) I struggle with editing my comment all the time when posting on my phone. In this instance, I just rage quit and hit post rather than try to get rid of the reply box.

I got a toddler to chase around, and a 9 month old speed-crawler that is fascinated by electrical outlets and the stairs. (both are "baby proofed", but I'm trying to teach him to not screw around and find out).

Back