OIl Grade Suggestion for 300k 6.0L Chevy..

My wife's Chevy equinox gets the same oil mileage as your truck. Only thing is, it doesn't have 80k miles on it yet. The only thing I found to cut consumption is to use a heavier grade oil. You can try running 10/40, and see how it reacts. I've made my own mix of 10/40 and 25/50 that I use in the summer, and that seems to work pretty good. It's a used, high mileage 23 year old truck, so don't hope for miracles.,,,
What you've created is a poor man's 15w50. I see no harm in it as long as you are using the same brand, chemistry and "family" of engine oil. For example it's better not to blend pcmo and hdeo, even from one oil company.
IMO, HDEOs like Delo 400 SAE 40 are the ultimate "high mileage" engine oils. Being group I, they have high solvency, and in my experience clean old engines and reduce oil consumption in one oci.
I've mixed 15w40 with SAE 50 for a poor man's high mileage 20w50, and 10w40 "synthetic" HDEO with SAE 50 of the same chemistry for a budget 20w/15w50, depending on how much of each, using the Bolivian calculator.
Going for M1 15w50 is $3x of home brew and is too rich for me.
"angst" crykie, omg the horror!

😉😁
20230301_114313.jpg
20230301_114323.jpg

So my 2000 Chevy Silverado 2600 with 6.0L has 292,000 Miles on it.. Ive owned it since new and have religiously changed the oil every 5000 with Mobil 1 most of the time, with a few Penzoil and Valvoiline full Syn changes thrown in here and there... Anyway, My truck is in Immacuate condition, and i am nuts on service and Maintaince... That being said, as its gotton older, it Burns more and more oil now, especially now that its got older, The oil Pressure is Perfect, just uses about
1 1/2 Quarts of oil per 1000 miles when towing heavy loads, like my 25ft rv... Engine runs great, is still very strong, no issues, no codes, still on my original engine/Trans and Cats too actually.... I always run 10w-30 being here in Los Angeles area.. Im used to it using oil, like a quart every 2000 roughly, its just now, im pulling a heavier trailer than i had before, so im noticing more oil consumtion...Also, my oil is Always very Black when i change it at 5k...

Would you guys reccomend going up to a 10w-40 or even the mobil1 15w-50?

Thanks!
A 10w40 M1 HM will be enough and POSSIBLY Stop oil consumption completely

What you've created is a poor man's 15w50. I see no harm in it as long as you are using the same brand, chemistry and "family" of engine oil. For example it's better not to blend pcmo and hdeo, even from one oil company.
IMO, HDEOs like Delo 400 SAE 40 are the ultimate "high mileage" engine oils. Being group I, they have high solvency, and in my experience clean old engines and reduce oil consumption in one oci.
I've mixed 15w40 with SAE 50 for a poor man's high mileage 20w50, and 10w40 "synthetic" HDEO with SAE 50 of the same chemistry for a budget 20w/15w50, depending on how much of each, using the Bolivian calculator.
Going for M1 15w50 is $3x of home brew and is too rich for me.
"angst" crykie, omg the horror!
It's still cheaper than a ring job, which GM says is what the car needs to correct the consumption issue. And they didn't want to do it on their dime. We've owned the car since it has 40k miles on it. Wife bought it off another family member who's owned it since new. The car runs fine with no noticeable smoke or leakage. And while it's a bit of a pia, having to make my own blend, it appears to cut down the usage.,

I found searching on google that apparently these years had a problem with high oil consumption with the PCV valve, the TSB recommends checking the PCV hose for signs of excessive oil then replacing the valve with an updated fixed orifice part. I guess if your PCV has ever been replaced then I guess remove it and check if the orifice is plugged and try to clean it.

The desired oil viscosity is dictated by 3 factors.

1. Operating oil temperature
2. Rod and main bearing clearance
3. Load on those bearings
Journal bearing clearances have basically been the same for 50+ years, and all those engines can run xW-20 to xW-60 without issue. The Ford Coyote specs 5W-20, 5W-30 and 5W-50 depending on the use conditions. Normal bearing clearance (0.001 - 0.003 inch) is not really much of a factor on viscosity used. Journal bearings obtain more MOFT as the viscosity increases, regardless of the clearance. Ref King Bearings tech info.

I found searching on google that apparently these years had a problem with high oil consumption with the PCV valve, the TSB recommends checking the PCV hose for signs of excessive oil then replacing the valve with an updated fixed orifice part. I guess if your PCV has ever been replaced then I guess remove it and check if the orifice is plugged and try to clean it.
We received a notice from GM concerning the high oil consumption. The car was brought to a chevy dealer for diagnoses. And we were told the car had a ring problem, and that they were not going to do anything about it. Either were we, because of the low mileage at the time. So I took the matter into my own hands. And for no extra cost involved , I replaced to recommend oil with my own mix which brought the consumption down to a somewhat reasonable amount. The car runs fine with my mix of oil ,with no strange noises or problems in the last 40k miles.,,

Journal bearing clearances have basically been the same for 50+ years, and all those engines can run xW-20 to xW-60 without issue. The Ford Coyote specs 5W-20, 5W-30 and 5W-50 depending on the use conditions. Normal bearing clearance (0.001 - 0.003 inch) is not really much of a factor on viscosity used. Journal bearings obtain more MOFT as the viscosity increases, regardless of the clearance. Ref King Bearings tech info.

Sure, anything will work. There's only one viscosity that is the ideal balance of MOFT and friction reduction. There's a point where you're just increasing hydrodynamic friction and bearing heat for no benefit.

Would you guys reccomend going up to a 10w-40 or even the mobil1 15w-50?

Thanks!

Lets see some pics, I love that era of GM HD trucks. You could run either weight with no consequences in your 6.0. Unrelated but I've run the 15w50 in my 2001 2500 with the 8.1 since that is well established as a simple fix for the oil consumption issue that engine has. I've had good results with Mobil's High Mileage 10w40 reducing consumption in a 5.3 Yukon. I've also had good results with Valvoline's High Mileage 10w40. Since you've been running Mobil so long, I'd try their 10w40 High Mileage.

Got the LQ9 (high out put version ) 6.0L in my Denali - just little over 200k miles and always ran Mobil 1 like you did. I don't burn oil like you but you have 100k more miles - I would stick with the Mobil 1 but go to the 10w/40 HM formula and see what happens.

Sure, anything will work. There's only one viscosity that is the ideal balance of MOFT and friction reduction. There's a point where you're just increasing hydrodynamic friction and bearing heat for no benefit.
Sure, but I'd rather have a bit more shearing friction with more MOFT than not. The fact still remains that regardless of the bearing clearance, more viscosity will give more MOFT with all other factors held constant. And the temperature rise from thicker oil is a low factor impact, there is still an increase in MOFT. The bearing clearance has more to do with oil temperature rise inside the bearing than the viscosity does. Tight bearings can have a dramatic increase in temperature regardless of the viscosity used, especially as the RPM increases.

1677889701284.jpg

Last edited:
Back