Oil weight for tiburon and few oil questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a 06 tiburon with a 2.0 5 spd. 110k miles. Bought it with 100k miles, did two 4k oci's with pphm 5w30. In hopes to clean it out. I have no idea what the previous maintenance was. "Replaced All my fluids but brake so far" so a few questions. 1. What weight should i use? 5/20 5/30? It has some ticking from the hla's but not too bad. I live in washington state so winter can be cold and summer can be hot. Theres not really any good temps year round in WA. 2. My driving habit is cityish my work is 6 miles away and takes about 25 mins to get to. Max speed i see on the way is 50 for about 1 mile. I let my car idle for 3-10 mins before driving everyday. I usually shift at 4, 4.5k. "Makes good power at 2800-4000" no reason for me to go past 4.5k. Unless i get in my rare stop light race with a fellow import. 3. Oil consumption is about a quart or 1.5 qts in 4k "depends how hard i drive". What is the main cause of consumption? No leaks and no smoke. Thanks for reading. My current fill is still pphm and plan on a oil change at 112k. I use oem oil filters due to hla noise with these motors.

I would first check with the owner's manual(if you have one) on the recommended oil but, any decent 5w30 should suffice! If there are no leaks/drips of oil, then most likely the oil is going past the piston rings but, too slow to see with the eye. Keep with the HM oil and maybe even just use conventional PHM instead of the synthetic PPHM. Both are good!

If you're only going to do 4500 mile oil change intervals(OCI's), I may in fact recommend switching to a conventional oil and maybe switch brands as well...to see if the oil consumption slows down. Others will chime in with more suggestions!

If you don't have your owner's manual, this is what is listed on Amsoil's product select for your car:

VISCOSITIES:
Below 95 F .5W-30, 5W-40
Above -9 F .10W-30, 10W-40, 10W-50
Above 32 F .20W-40, 20W-50
CAPACITIES: With filter 4.2 quarts After refill check oil level.
TORQUES: Oil Drain Plug...26-32 ft/lbs

I would run 5W-30 winter and 10W-30 summer.

also, you don't need to (shouldn't) let it idle for 10 minutes to warm it up. it is actually better for the engine to drive it gently than to let it idle more than a minute or two.

My owners manual says 5/20 all the way to 10/40 for weights. And i prefer syn oil. Never used a conventional oil before.

Dylan, I don't know if you can go wrong with any of those grades of oil listen in your owner's manual. However, I don't really see the need for a 10W40 with all of the good 20's & 30's on the store shelves.

Originally Posted By: Dylan1303
Im still torn between 5/20 and 5/30.

Well, in cooler/colder months, use 0W20 or 5W20 and in the warmer months, use 5W30.
And although your car has some performance mods on it, do you actually go to the track? If not, just use oils(5W20/5W30) based on what the outside temps will be during your full oil change interval(OCI).

Doing some wide open throttle(WOT) stints to pass up slower traffic or just to feel the engine swing to the RedLine now & again, isn't really considered hard driving unless you do it all the time/all day long.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back