Oil Type Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been choosing Motorcraft full-synthetic for my 15 Taurus. Today I was considering using a shorter oil change interval this summer and using Motorcraft blended this time. The car will sit a lot over Summer while I commute on a motorbike. Come Fall, I would again use the full synthetic for the greater car use and the good cold temperature qualities of the full. But until then I expect only a couple 2-3k miles.
The service adviser told me it would now be unwise to select blended. He told me a chemical in the blended would now begin to cause oil problems long term if I did not stick with the full synthetic.

I find this hard to believe.

Last edited:
You can switch at any time. I've never heard that malarkey before. Go with any oil that covers your spec. Be it conventional or synthetic and everything in between.

Your service advisor is full of it. As long as it meets the specs, you're good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by Coastie05
The service advisor is just trying to make money off you. The blended won't hurt at all.

Yup, the chemical reaction would be less green in his pocket.

There has never been any proof that switching between conventional, blend and synthetic causes any "chemical reactions" of any sort. Oil is oil and is designed by nature to be compatible with other oils, regardless of oil base.

1. You can switch anytime as long as specs are met. The service advisor needs educated.
2. Your service advisor is full of it. As long as it meets the specs, you're good to go.
3. Why not try the lowest priced oil that is still recommended by your owners manual.
4. The service advisor is just trying to make money off you. The blended won't hurt at all.
5. "Me", Get a new service guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm leaning more that the service advisor needs to be educated. Although there may be an extra financial bonus for every full syn oil change.

He's wrong.

Originally Posted by Jetsfan421
You can switch at any time. I've never heard that malarkey before. Go with any oil that covers your spec. Be it conventional or synthetic and everything in between.

I heard it a few times. Once I was just in the waiting room at a shop waiting out an alignment. Not sure if he was trying to talk someone out of getting "synthetic", but I might have been tossed if I had said anything.

semi-synthetics are a waste of $$$ as there are no laws governing the amount of synthetic usually group III in the blend. use either conventional or synthetic or mix them of the same brand or just use super- tech line of lubes for best value without rebates

Originally Posted by Lrobby99
I've been choosing Motorcraft full-synthetic for my 15 Taurus. Today I was considering using a shorter oil change interval this summer and using Motorcraft blended this time. The car will sit a lot over Summer while I commute on a motorbike. Come Fall, I would again use the full synthetic for the greater car use and the good cold temperature qualities of the full. But until then I expect only a couple 2-3k miles.
The service adviser told me it would now be unwise to select blended. He told me a chemical in the blended would now begin to cause oil problems long term if I did not stick with the full synthetic.

I find this hard to believe.

He tried. Many of them spew garbage often, and assume all people are stupid. It happens.

So a certain chemical could have a reaction eh?
31.gif

Boy and to think of all the frankenbrews we've seen here!
13.gif

And to think some of those ‘brews are made up of several brands
24.gif

I suspect there's a mountain of destroyed engines piled up somewhere ‘round here....

Originally Posted by benjy
semi-synthetics are a waste of $$$ as there are no laws governing the amount of synthetic usually group III in the blend. use either conventional or synthetic or mix them of the same brand or just use super- tech line of lubes for best value without rebates

All SN SN plus is roughly 50 percent group 3 if it's 5-20 or 5-30, even conventional unless it uses Mobil basestocks which for some reason can make it with group 2. I've linked to the Mobil position paper twice in the last 3 months.

There's no 1 percent semi syn but there's plenty of roughly 50 percent group 3 conventional. Semi syn vs conventional is now a way for companies to push different price points for essentially the same product.

Last edited:
BTW-- I'm in my seventies and mellowed in my old age, but in my younger years I would have tried to get that SA fired. Wouldn't have worked, but having an occasional conniption fit used to build up the testosterone. Now it would just gimme a stroke.

Originally Posted by csandste
BTW-- I'm in my seventies and mellowed in my old age, but in my younger years I would have tried to get that SA fired. Wouldn't have worked, but having an occasional conniption fit used to build up the testosterone. Now it would just gimme a stroke.

Good thing you used to work at a nice & quiet place!
lol.gif

I would get a new service advisor or recommend to take your 15 Ford Taurus to a different Ford dealership service department. Your service advisor doesn't know what he is talking about he probably makes money on every oil change they can do. What mileage is your 15 Ford Taurus currently at? I recommend doing your own oil changes at home. We had a 2007 Ford Taurus 3.0 V6 that made it to 96K miles before it blew a cylinder head gasket it was not the most reliable or dependable vehicle we ever owned. We used 5W20 Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic motor oil and a Mobil 1 oil filter on every OCI. I recommend using Valvoline SynPower or Advanced 5W20 Full Synthetic motor oil and a Mobil 1 or K&N oil filter on all your future oil changes. Also you can use 5W30 weight because Ford recommends using 5W20 weight to get better MPG that is all.

My Toro is at 53k miles now and has been on nothing except Motorcraft oil.
I remember reading a oil ratings list here several years ago and the MC oil was well rated. So, I stick with it.
Since I went ahead and bought the Full, I will adjust my plans and just keep it in there longer.
What I won't do is take more lousy advice from the service "advisor".

Thanks for all the fast answers. If there was a Like Button, I would have pushed it a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back