Oil to gas ratio for leaf blower etc...

Okay so I have a leaf blower that calls for 40 to 1 ratio. I have 2 other tools that require 50 to 1. I have fuel mixed at 50 to 1. The leaf blower imploded today on 50 to 1. was the 50:1 not enough oil for the 40:1 leaf blower?
I threw it out and bought a 50:1 leaf blower. Did I ruin the 40:1 leaf blower with too little oil?

Seizure is usually related to air leaks leaning out the mixture. Rods sticking through crankcase is usually failed oil injector line/too little oil mix.
Which are you?

when changing mixtures you might need to tune the carb to the new mixture. everytime i mix a new gallon of 2 cycle i tune my weed eater and blower to the new mix. runs great and then do it again with a new gallon

I'd say that the leaf blower was a much older model and had an air leak at either the intake, a fuel line, or possibly the crankcase seal. I don't doubt that the leaf blower is junk now but I will state with near certainty that it wasn't a result of your fuel/oil mixture ratio. I would put money on a bad fuel line leading to a lean air/fuel mixture ratio as opposed to a lean fuel/oil ratio.

Use the quietest oil you can find. Your neighbors will appreciate it.

1620778870034.png

Okay so I have a leaf blower that calls for 40 to 1 ratio. I have 2 other tools that require 50 to 1. I have fuel mixed at 50 to 1. The leaf blower imploded today on 50 to 1. was the 50:1 not enough oil for the 40:1 leaf blower?
I threw it out and bought a 50:1 leaf blower. Did I ruin the 40:1 leaf blower with too little oil?
Why did you threw it out? It still could be saved. All you have to do is take off the spark plug, pour car engine oil on it & let it soak for a week, then try to pull the rope slowly, when the piston goes up, help it with a screw driver on the spark plug hole pressing it down. Do this until you feel the piston is moving freely. That's what I did to the Craftsman trimmer I found on the curb side. It says "Free (Not working)". I am now using it as a backup trimmer.

Last edited:
I was ready for a new one so, I was still curious if I killed it or it just died a natural death. It was running great, then I heard the sound of crunching metal internally and it abruptly quit. Pulling the rope, there was zero resistance and I could pull it all the way out.

Better to have a little too much oil than not enough, especially with leaf blowers. Those engines have a tougher job than anything else running full throttle most of the time.

Better to have a little too much oil than not enough, especially with leaf blowers. Those engines have a tougher job than anything else running full throttle most of the time.
I agree. That's part of the reason I mix rich for my powerhead. Trimming isn't so hard for it, but running the edger attachment and the blower means its screaming almost wide open for many minutes at a time. I'd rather it have some extra protection. And yes I've richened the carb up ever so slightly.

Back