Oil Testing

Was curious as to why the Timken bearing wear test is not used more to test the lubricity of the oils and measuring the wear scar?

Wouldn’t this provide some idea of how the oil would protect I know it does not quite simulate exact engine conditions, but it could be a relative comparison between oils similar to tire tread-wear ratings.

Again I am not tribologist and am curious.

Why not?

I know Falex makes a friction tester for tribology.
Why are the lubricity numbers or wear scar not as important as viscosity?

EP screening tests are applicable to gear oils and greases, which is why the 4-ball test is employed in testing both of those lubricant types. Engines do not have EP conditions and are not fortified with EP additives to tolerate them, therefore the performance in EP testing is at best, useless, at worst, grossly misleading and causes people to draw spurious conclusions about a lubricant's "performance".

The sequences applied as part of engine lubricant testing are meant to correlate with real world use. That's why many of them employ actual engines and tear-downs. More severe OEM tests are also run, like Porsche A40 for example, which is quite extensive in nature.

If valuable information could be gleaned from one of these simple bench tests and avoid the significant cost of tear-down testing, it would be done in a heartbeat. It isn't because it doesn't.

Would the Timken test show camshaft protection (maybe flat tappet)?

Nope, the pressures experienced on the camshaft do not come close to say what is experienced in a differential for example. That's why oils with elevated levels of ZDDP, which have been tested to protect camshafts and lifters, often do horribly on these tests.

In defense of Head and Shoulders, doesn't it contain zinc haha?:D

Water, sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium laureth sulfate, glycol distearate, zinc carbonate, sodium chloride, sodium xylenesulfonate, cocamidopropyl betaine, fragrance, dimethicone, sodium benzoate, guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, magnesium carbonate hydroxide, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone

Back