Oil temperature towing

Just thought I might pick your brains for some opinions. Running MC 10w30 in my ‘17 6.7 and towing up some mountains in NH towing my 11K lb TT I saw some higher than normal oil temps than I have seen using this truck/trailer combo. I attribute it to the length and pitch of the grade. Truck was running about 2000+ RPM with with 25 of boost for several minutes, with a peak oil temp of 236*F with about 80-85* ambient. It hung around 230 ish for a while until things flattened out and I could get out of the throttle for a bit. Do you think these temps exceeds the limits for this lube under these conditions?

I got the 5w20 in my old outdoorsman to that temp often for heavy tows. It kept kicking for many years to come.

I've had some heavy tows with my ISB6.7 using semi synthetic 10w30. Used oil analysis showed it was fine.

Do you frequently tow like this, if you do I believe that is what ford considers severe service and the manual says to use MC 5W-40, I think mostly because it's full syn, so probably any full syn 5W-40 or 15W-40 would satisfy Ford's recommendation.

with grades like this only a few times per year. But I tow this trailer probably 2-3000 miles per year. MC 5w40 isn’t readily available where I am, I’m also hesitant to use a 5w40 just because of the fact there isn’t a big viscosity difference when warm, especially after in use for a while, vs a 10w30. If anything I’d step to a 15w40 for summer use and 10w30 for winter.

Last edited:
with grades like this only a few times per year. But I tow this trailer probably 2-3000 miles per year. MC 5w40 isn’t readily available where I am, I’m also hesitant to use a 5w40 just because of the fact there isn’t a big viscosity difference when warm, especially after in use for a while, vs a 10w30. If anything I’d step to a 15w40 for summer use and 10w30 for winter.
Use Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 from Wal Mart. It is not about viscosity (KV100) but HTHS.
My BMW ran 293f on track before installing oil cooler. You will be fine.
First thing to do is bumping oil to European specifications as they are mostly based on HTHS not grade.
While 236f is nothing (my BMW rubs 230-240 on hwy to save fuel) you can always go bigger oil cooler if worried.

Use Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 from Wal Mart. It is not about viscosity (KV100) but HTHS.
My BMW ran 293f on track before installing oil cooler. You will be fine.
First thing to do is bumping oil to European specifications as they are mostly based on HTHS not grade.
While 236f is nothing (my BMW rubs 230-240 on hwy to save fuel) you can always go bigger oil cooler if worried.
This is a heavy duty diesel, I wouldn't use passenger car diesel oil in it.

My ram 3500 towing 40 foot containers in NH and VT sees about 228 peak temp. Flat ground with the container we see 215 or so.

My trailer is 37’ long and about 11 and a half feet tall. Flat ground is around 212-214

236F on HDEO is nothing really. If it's conventional then I'd say 250F sustained might be pushing it, synthetic 300F sustained would be pushing it...

I use Mobil Delvac 1300 15W40 all year round in my Cummins. Oil samples are good.

Just my $0.02

Not unusual. Towing 14K I usually see 210-220 on flat terrain, but in summer with hills have seen 230s with 5w40 and 15w40. My 6.7 has 250K.

I saw similar temps in my 2015 when I towed in the mountains. If you are overly concerned, switch to 5W-40 which being a full synthetic, will handle those temperatures and a lot more.

My question was more so if the film strength of the 10w30 was adequate for those temperatures as far as protection. This fill only has about 1200 miles on it so I’m still debating whether or not to drain/refill with a 15w40 before the next trip.

Run 15w-40 in my 6.7 Cummins towing 10K in mountains........don't see excess temp.

Back