Status
Not open for further replies.
hello,

I,m brand new at this forum,
cheers.gif

let me introduce myself,my name is nico Visser,
living in the Netherlands,Europe.
I,m driving old Chevrolet PU's for many years
I recently started my freshly rebuild 366 cid engine (runs great) on break in oil SUNOCO S-30.
Now it has 500 mls. and needs new oil,but I,m a bit confused what type of oil to use with all the change in the oil business (dope's)
In the past 25 years I used SUNOCO (SUN-oil)minerale oil(20W50 and older engines 15W60),but
I never towed heavy!! trailers.

The newly 1969 restored PU truck is going to be used as a tow truck,
engine/driveline specs are;

366 cid truck engine (tall deck)
hydrollic flat tappet lifters on a 255 cam.
comression; 9.5:1 / 4500 RPM max.
HV oil pump (blocked bypass)
large oil cooler
fuel;LPGas/gasoline

drive-line;
TH 400
diff; 411;1 (dyna 60 limited slip)

the new engine/PU has to pull 9500 lb,so it's going to need all the help it can get (OIL!!!)
I heard that Shell rotella is a good oil that is used in heavy diesel trucks,end a good choice for my engine,to reduce wear and give my cam/tappets a long healty life!!!!

I also heard that Shell is going to take dope's (zinc)out to meet regulations in 2007 (does somebody knows if that's also for Europe (Netherland)
confused.gif

Ps, temperature in Holland are
in summer 85 deg.F max.
in winter 5 deg.F min.

Thanks for your effort and advice/help
patriot.gif

I would certainly use a good diesel oil since it has more ZDDP and will help your cam and lifters live a long and happy life. Rotella Syn 5w40, Delo 400 15w40, Devlac and Schaeffers all make good oils for decent prices, not sure what you have easily available where you are at. They have been reducing ZDDP in oils slowly for some time now, however diesel oil still has "high" levels of ZDDP off the shelf. Although it is probably expensive (to ship internationally anyway) you could order some of Specialty Formulations SX-UP to add to the oil of your choice. Also the GM EOS could be added, however it does not have the same level of additives as SX-UP I believe.

9500 lbs with a 366 is going to be working that small block. An oil temp gauge and might be in order. What size pan does it have on it? A larger sump may also be advisable in addition to an oil cooler.

1969 was a good-looking truck. I like that body style with the 71 (maybe 72 can’t remember now) grill.

Yes, you are probably right c502cid. Still, not much displacement for the weight it's hauling. I'm sure it'll do it just fine as I've pulled that much weight with my 350, but it does complain about it some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back