2019 6.7 oil advice tow heavy

10w30 Diesel Oil / Its in my fleet of Ford PSDs currently / I made the change fleet-wide to 10w30 becasue as much as I feel like we abuse our tow trucks----F450 through F650s---per the Ford manual we are still normal use. No issues. Saves money. A little better fuel economy. We use Fram filters which are the orange can PH10890--I was getting them for $4.28 each but my supply at that price has dried up. (Lowes online had them mis priced about 9 months ago I bought as many as I could before they realized they messed up. I got 250 filters out of them at $4.28) I buy whatever is the cheapest brand of oil meeting F1 spec and whatever filters are the cheapest. We go strictly by the OLM. Never had a oil related failure. Have millions and millions of miles behind this philosophy. No issues. More profit. My trucks run literally 24/7. I have made some adjustments to cut costs in the "new" economy post Covid including more use time for my fleet literally almost 24hrs daily and keeping the trucks to longer miles before selling them. My trucks are now logging between 200,000 to 250,000 miles per year and are on a 3 year cycle. The PSD is a true million mile engine. No problem getting 500,000 out of the motor and so far the repair costs are making the biz case for keeping the trucks between 500-750k miles.

I have a test truck I am experimenting with extended OCIs and changing the filters only between oil changes and topping up. I think I can get 25,000 - 30,000 OCIs.

I have (2) Freightliner M2s with the Detroit DD5 4 cylinder motor in 26,000GVW chassis and the factory OCI is 45,000 miles. I havent had any freighliners in over 20 years. Really amazing on fuel economy.

Bottom line 99.9% of people on here way over-service, over-think and spend way way way too much money on service.

Back