Oil temp gauge install

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does one go about installing one of these gauges? Do I just drill a hole in the oil pan and bolt it in there? Is there an easier way? I really have no idea what I'm about to do.
frown.gif

One easy way is to adapt one to your drain plug opening. It's about the easiest to install but a bit inconvenient to remove it every time you drain oil.

My prefered way with a steel oil pan is to drop the pan and braze in an adaptor. There are other less anal ways.

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:
My prefered way with a steel oil pan is to drop the pan and braze in an adaptor. There are other less anal ways.

Steel? What if the oil pan is aluminum?

quote:

Originally posted by Raven18940:

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

Steel? What if the oil pan is aluminum?

Use an aluminum adapter and have it TIG welded on.

What kind of car is it? I have a VW New Beetle and there was a handy blank plug on the oil filter flange (before the oil cooler luckily) that took the temp sender quite handily.

quote:

Originally posted by rcy:
What kind of car is it? I have a VW New Beetle and there was a handy blank plug on the oil filter flange (before the oil cooler luckily) that took the temp sender quite handily.

Here's a pic of my filter
 -

It's a saab 9-5 (keep forgetting to write that), is that the same sort of plug that was on your beettle?

No. The Beelte has an M10x1 threaded hole that took my 1/8NPT temp sender no problem. I think the sandwich adapter will work quite well for you. Most have two or more ports, so you could mount and oil pressure sender if you so desired as well.

quote:

Originally posted by rcy:
No. The Beelte has an M10x1 threaded hole that took my 1/8NPT temp sender no problem. I think the sandwich adapter will work quite well for you. Most have two or more ports, so you could mount and oil pressure sender if you so desired as well.

Ok, thanks.
smile.gif
Can anyone recommend a good adaptor, preferably with two ports?

Some guy on ebay sells a nice blue anodized one. you can do the same thing with a $15 Permacool sandwich if you want to use a drill to open up the barrier between the inlet and outlet ports.

ebay stuff

I haven't used it ..so "recommend" isn't quite right. I can't see how you can screw something like this up.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
Some guy on ebay sells a nice blue anodized one. you can do the same thing with a $15 Permacool sandwich if you want to use a drill to open up the barrier between the inlet and outlet ports.

ebay stuff

I suppose I was just looking for a proper name to search by. *shrugs* As pretty
I haven't used it ..so "recommend" isn't quite right. I can't see how you can screw something like this up.

*shrugs* I think I was just looking for direction to search with. As pretty as that adaptor is, there's no a chance in **** it'll fit my car. Though I think I know what I'm looking for now, thanks a bunch.

What's so special about your filter setup?? From a quick check at the WIX site ...you've got a 3/4-16 thread filter ...totally common to most of the rolling stock on the road today (VW,Audi, Saab, Ford (older), MOPAR, and Toyota)

What about this "won't fit"? That link is just the first one that I found ..the clown sells different bolts for every configuration. The adapter is the same for all of them
dunno.gif

Or is there some problem with extending your filter the 3/4" that this would add in length
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
What about this "won't fit"? That link is just the first one that I found ..the clown sells different bolts for every configuration. The adapter is the same for all of them
dunno.gif

Oh, I was just talking about that one as hondas have a different thread design.
blush.gif
What did you search for as my searches turned up next to no results.
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back