Oil Temp before getting on throttle?

I remember my 2008 911 saying to keep it below 4,000 rpms until the oil temp is 175 degrees.

My M2's oil warms up quickly but I stay out of heavy load and high rpms until about 200 degrees- also have to think about the trans and diff temps if you are really going at it.

The general consensus on the MK7 VWs is to wait to punch it until it's over 180. I generally follow that rule.

I have gathered opinions on this in the past but it seems opinions are all over the map.

The question is at what oil temp would it be considered sufficient to safely add high load and or RPM?
What engine? What Car? Motorsports or street driven? Al block or CI?

On the street, if it's above freezing out, I wait till the coolant is up to ~140 F and I've driven 3-5 miles. That's soomewhat aggressive and only for engines making under 1 lb-ft/cu-in. My commute would take me onto the State highway with a 45mph limit and even then I would accelerate moderately.

Oil temp doesn't matter too much unless you have a turbo, SC or dry sump - you need sufficient oil flow to cool and lube when you
spool it up. Some dry sump motorsports engine employ an engine oil heater to get the sump up to temp.

Rule: Don't ever womp on it cold - Ken

Back