Oil suggestions for commercial mowers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cronk

Or Amsoil makes a 10w30 small engine oil (ASE) that I use in my stuff with great results. Amsoil is not sold in stores, buy from your local Amsoil dealer or order it online.

Make sure you contact Pablo, the BITOG Amsoil site sponsor.

JD, a diesel engine oil is more robust than a gasoline engine oil. Any of the diesel engine 10W-30 oils will do a great job protecting your engines. Any top brand--Shell Rotella, or Chevron Delo, or anything that is handy for you to pick up...look for CJ-4 & 10W-30 on the label.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
... a diesel engine oil is more robust than a gasoline engine oil. Any of the diesel engine 10W-30 oils will do a great job protecting your engines.

I don't think anyone would have big debate over that statement; generally the HDEOs are a bit more robust.

However, that does not mean he needs an HDEO for these applications. We don't know what year of manufacture the engines are, or even if they are a/c or l/c (unless I missed a post). Genearlly, the Kaw engines only spec some minor level of S-rated lube; C-rated lubes are not required. The engines will last a long time on gold ol PCMO. More info would help here; OCI durations, hours per day, op temps, etc. But just because HDEO is more robust (which I would agree with overall) does not mean that PCMO is inferior and cannot protect.

Last edited:
Hey guy with the SCAG!

Are you having to change plugs about yearly? My neighbors seems to filter air a little too well... runs the mower a little rich.

Keep in mind as mentioned previously, that vtwin is a horse... but a horse that isn't a fan of overly thick oil. I prefer w40 in nearly everything...and I mean everything with an engine. But these motors run smoother and longer on w30.

The newer manual I have specs a 5w30 synthetic.

An fl-400s might fit on there too lol

Besides your favorite Pat Goss video, you got anything else to prove this claim?

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Don't run high mileage oil in newer engines
or even engines that don't burn oil or leak..

Seals will swell, then wear, then fail...

Originally Posted By: Bambam
Got a kawasaki powered Scag here at work, yearly changes with straight 30, no issues in ten years!

My liquid cooled V2 Kawi manual calls for straight 30 and warns of oil consumption if a multi weight is used. Iv'e been running conventional straight 30 with no issues, but I only use for about 2Hrs a week, not commercial use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back