Oil Suggestion for 2011 Jetta 2.5L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd run M1 0w-40.

We have tried to run M1 ESP 5w-30 which is 504/507 rated, but TBN retention is too poor with the high sulfur gasoline we have here in the USA.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I'd run M1 0w-40.

We have tried to run M1 ESP 5w-30 which is 504/507 rated, but TBN retention is too poor with the high sulfur gasoline we have here in the USA.

01.gif
Sounds like a plan too me!
01.gif

You are correct as my GTI says the same thing and the dealer. It has Castrol Syntec 5w40. That guy is wrong.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Originally Posted By: Finklejag

2) The factory fill from VW is Castrol Syntec 5w40.

This is not correct.

My Owners manual states the factory fill was 5w40.

My dealer service department said the factory fill is Castrol Syntec 5w40.

My dealer says VW recommends them to use Castrol Syntec 5w40.

The Castrol logo is on my oil filler cap.

I am just going off of what I have heared.

Please show proof to your statement. I will have to believe that it is true until a I have proof otherwise. I am not saying I am 100% sure. But your statement puts zero doubt in my mind.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: G35_TX
You are correct as my GTI says the same thing and the dealer. It has Castrol Syntec 5w40. That guy is wrong.

Really?

I show prooof that Castrol 5W-40 isn't the factory fill, and you still believe your local dealer? The same VW dealer network that was using dino oil for the 10K OCI's in the 1.8T ten years back. If you want to drink the VW dealer Kool-Aid. Go right ahead. They love customers like you.

Proof where? Your little UOA out of your engine instead of fresh out of a bottle? LOL I have it on my oil fill cap and OWN the car. And the dealer even said the car has that oil in it.

No we are smarter than the dealer and at least I know what my car has in it unlike you. Oh and MK6 forums also disagree with you. They even said Syntec.

Really?

I show prooof that Castrol 5W-40 isn't the factory fill, and you still believe your local dealer? The same VW dealer network that was using dino oil for the 10K OCI's in the 1.8T ten years back. If you want to drink the VW dealer Kool-Aid. Go right ahead. They love customers like you.

Last edited:
Proof where? Your little UOA out of your engine instead of fresh out of a bottle?

UOA is actually a fairly good indicator in this case since you can recognize which oil it is not by looking at the levels of additives.

Quote:

LOL I have it on my oil fill cap and OWN the car.

Your oil fill cap says "Factory filled with Castrol Syntec 5w-40" on it? Please post a picture.

Quote:

And the dealer even said the car has that oil in it.

Seriously, you've been on this site long enough to know that most dealers are clueless when it comes to engine oil. Don't bet your life on what your dealer is telling you.

Think logically for a second. Your GTI was made in Germany. Syntec is a North American product. It is not available anywhere outside of North America. So, how did it get into your engine in Germany? Why would VAG Germany go through the trouble of importing this oil from North America when they have plenty of good oils available locally?

Proof where? Your little UOA out of your engine instead of fresh out of a bottle? LOL I have it on my oil fill cap and OWN the car. And the dealer even said the car has that oil in it.

Do you even know what you are talking about? Where is the Magesium that Castrol Syntec 5W-40 has in it? Did I just use all of it up in 3,475 miles? I think not, because it's not Castrol Syntec 5W-40. My head hurts trying to explain oil related information to you and the people on the Mk6 forums.

Here is my oil fill cap. Mine doesn't say anything about Castrol Syntec 5W-40 being the factory fill. All it says is Castrol, and in very small letters "recommended".

003-4.jpg

Do you even know what you are talking about? Where is the Magesium that Castrol Syntec 5W-40 has in it? Did I just use all of it up in 3,475 miles? I think not, because it's not Castrol Syntec 5W-40. My head hurts trying to explain oil related information to you and the people on the Mk6 forums.

G35_TX's proof is what the dealership says.... according to him... it's all the proof he needs, not some fancy smancy UOA on an new engine....

Of course, technically, saying that Syntec 5w40 only can violate the magnuson-moss act. This is why VW recommends anything meeting VW502.00 certification AND they have provided a list of all the oils that meet VW502.00 certification.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Think logically for a second. Your GTI was made in Germany. Syntec is a North American product. It is not available anywhere outside of North America. So, how did it get into your engine in Germany? Why would VAG Germany go through the trouble of importing this oil from North America when they have plenty of good oils available locally?

Syntec is North American label.

Edge 5w40 A3/B4 would be the Syntec 5w40 equivalent.
http://datasheets.bp.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/0/BFBD8A5F99CAF615802577ED00480A10/$file/BPXE-85KN8C_0.pdf

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

Syntec is North American label.

Edge 5w40 A3/B4 would be the Syntec 5w40 equivalent.
http://datasheets.bp.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/0/BFBD8A5F99CAF615802577ED00480A10/$file/BPXE-85KN8C_0.pdf

Looking at the specs and approvals it carries, the only thing this Edge 5w-40 has in common with Syntec 5w-40 is the "5w-40".
smile.gif

Add pack is different, kinematic visc at 40C and 100C is different, pour point is different.

This Euro Edge 5w-40 is a low SAPs product. North American Syntec 5w-40 is not.

Wow didn't know you went to the plant and saw what they put in our engines to know that as a fact.

And neither did you, so how can you be so sure they put in Syntec 5w-40?

I'm still waiting for that photo of your oil cap that will supposedly put this discussion to rest.

Wow didn't know you went to the plant and saw what they put in our engines to know that as a fact.

I'm still waiting for that photo of your oil cap that will supposedly put this discussion to rest.

Because his dealer said so. Duh!

I'm done with this thread and our friend G35_TX!
15.gif

15.gif

This thread is about Jetta 2.5L's.

1)
So far you have posted a UOA. I can send 3 samples of NEW oil out of the same bottle to Blackstone and not ONE of three samples will show the same VOA. There not perfect.

Let alone UOA's from different cars!!!!!!

2)
Read my owners manual:
Ok, Here is the page right from my owners manual:

In black and white. It states my car came with a 5w40 oil in it from the factory.

3) This is for you Quattro Pete
grin.gif
:
The Jetta's and there engines are built in NORTH America!
Sooooo. Since the owners manual states they factory fill with 5w40. And that VW has a MAJOR agreement/ad contract with Castrol. AND Syntec is a VW 502 oil that is crazy easy to get in N America. AND that the dealer said it was Syntec.

I mean. Unless you guys can shed some proof to show otherwise. I have nothing else but to do but believe Castrol 5w40 is the factory fill for the Jetta 2.5L.

If the glove fits!

grin.gif
:
Sooooo. Since the owners manual states they factory fill with 5w40. And that VW has a MAJOR agreement/ad contract with Castrol. AND Syntec is a VW 502 oil that is crazy easy to get in N America. AND that the dealer said it was Syntec.

For the Jetta 2.5 built in Mexico, this is a lot more believable. It would be cool to have the factory fill analyzed to see if the add pack differs from Syntec 5w-40 though.

My previous comments were directed at G35_TX and his GTI.

grin.gif
:

For the Jetta 2.5 built in Mexico, this is a lot more believable. It would be cool to have the factory fill analyzed to see if the add pack differs from Syntec 5w-40 though.

My previous comments were directed at G35_TX and his GTI.

grin2.gif
Yea, I kno. I was just busting on ya!

While there is no iron clad proof. The little hints add up, thats were I gathered my opinion on what the factory fill is. . . .

I love it how you people try to tell someone they are wrong when in fact you guys have no evidence either to prove I am wrong. Wow seriously guys, grow up.

Thank you. Someone with a brain.

15.gif

This thread is about Jetta 2.5L's.

1)
So far you have posted a UOA. I can send 3 samples of NEW oil out of the same bottle to Blackstone and not ONE of three samples will show the same VOA. There not perfect.

Let alone UOA's from different cars!!!!!!

2)
Read my owners manual:
Ok, Here is the page right from my owners manual:

In black and white. It states my car came with a 5w40 oil in it from the factory.

grin.gif
:

I mean. Unless you guys can shed some proof to show otherwise. I have nothing else but to do but believe Castrol 5w40 is the factory fill for the Jetta 2.5L.

If the glove fits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back