Oil Suggestion for 2011 Jetta 2.5L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back into a gasser after a few years in a TDI. Of course, this car requires VW 502, which I am not tied to. I know, I'm a rebel. Anyway, my first thought would be M1 0w40, but I am wondering if anyone else has thoughts. GC? M1 TDT? Rotella T6?

Thanks so much!
Brett

I like Syntec 5w40, I believe it is 502 and you can get it on sale quite often. Rotella is not 502 (nor TDT I'm pretty sure). I would keep warranty in mind.

Amsoil is great too...it looks like you have experience w/ it, they have good quality 502 as well.

Last edited:
OK...so maybe the choices are...GC, M1 0w40, and Syntec 5w40. Any preference of one over the other?

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
OK...so maybe the choices are...GC, M1 0w40, and Syntec 5w40. Any preference of one over the other?

Let price be your guide.

NAPA also sells LubroMoly 5w-40 that meets VW 502.00 spec, but I doubt you'll get it cheaper than the other three when they're on sale.

Pennzoil Ultra 5w-40 is another choice, but harder to find and not cheap.

I'm not tied to VW 502 oils, as I feel there are some others that will do just as good or better.

I'm actually thinking of using Amsoil DEO in this car. A bit better than AFL in my mind, and not any pricier than GC or M1 0w40.

T6...still up in the air about this one. I know it's proven, but just a bit hesitant. Anyone wanna sway me?
smile.gif

VW 502 is basically a B4 oil, which is a moderate duty ACEA spec. The T6 will meet this since it's a heavy duty oil, it probably meets E7. Also I've read that Rotella uses alot of zddp for antiwear, probably more than the rest. Unless you're wanting to do long drains, the T6 would work fine, and probably for long drains as well. That said, all should work fine in that motor.

What is current mileage of the new Jetta? Is there factory fill oil?
Consider this: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
I did it to my wifes new car ;-) 2 "track" days ~140km on "heavier" 10W-40. Factory fill was flushed after 100km.
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/5390/myastra.jpg I'm waiting for another UOA from 2kkm on 5W-30 Dexos2 to see if berak-in is finished.
I'd use engine flush replacing factory fill for better factory dirt removal.
If you don't break in like motoman than I'd use conventional 5W-30 for the first 10k mi at least for proper break in - changed every 2k mi max.

Last edited:
Back into a gasser after a few years in a TDI. Of course, this car requires VW 502, which I am not tied to. I know, I'm a rebel. Anyway, my first thought would be M1 0w40, but I am wondering if anyone else has thoughts. GC? M1 TDT? Rotella T6?

Thanks so much!
Brett

M1 0w40 & GC meets VW502.00

Luckily, the 2.5 isn't really a demanding engine on the oil.

Nonetheless, M1 TDT & Rotella T6 (which I use on my 2.0T) are good choices

T6...still up in the air about this one. I know it's proven, but just a bit hesitant. Anyone wanna sway me?
smile.gif

There is no advantage to running T6 instead of M1 0w-40, IMO. When on sale, M1 costs about the same as T6. The added benefit of M1 is that it actually meets the required spec for your engine.

T6 is a Group III basestock

TDT.... well Mobil is pretty tight lipped these days, but I would expect it to be a III/IV blend.

at my local wallyworld, TDT is a few bucks more per gallon than T6

I'm not tied to VW 502 oils, as I feel there are some others that will do just as good or better.

I'm actually thinking of using Amsoil DEO in this car. A bit better than AFL in my mind, and not any pricier than GC or M1 0w40.

smile.gif

If you do not use VW speced oil, you can run into MAJOR issues should you run into engine issues that relate to proper lube.

Not that it should happen. But you just open yourself up for issues.

I'd stick with VW 502 until your at least out of warranty. I personally use M1 0w40 and I plan on using that for however long I have the car.

T6 or TDT....any REAL differences?

Very different cold flow between those two. What part of IL you in?

South Burbs of Chicago.

Since it's still under the factory warranty, M1 0w40 or Syntec 5w40.

After that if you want to use an API truck oil, I'd go with T6 over TDT for year-round usage. If you want to use TDT still, go with TDT in the warmer months, T6 in the colder months.

Otherwise, M1 0w40 or Syntec 5w40 year-round.

smile.gif

1. There are numerous analyses on Rotella T6 in other oil-gobbling VAG engines like the 1.8T that show consistently good results that are at least as good as any 502.00 oil.

2. It's a high quality, high VI Group III base with a stout (if old-fashioned) additive formulation.

3. It's the correct viscosity.

4. I'm running it in my chipped 1.8T now with no apparent ill effects, and I'm picky about oil. I also just had the valve cover off a couple weeks ago to change the gaskets, and there was not a spec of sludge or varnish to be found.

5. It's $20 a gallon at Walmart

I would not run it if you're still under warranty. I have 118K miles on my car so I don't care about that anymore - I used GC when it was still under warranty.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, everyone. I am changing out the FF early, going to run a short interval of TDT, and then probably go to GC for the time being. I think for the most part, it will be a mix of GC or M1 0w40, depending on price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back