Oil Suggestion for 1988 GMC Sierra beater truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
finally, i love this kind of discussion.

whatever your daily driver is, reuse that oil in your POS. who cares if its 5w20 or 0w20, just toss in the fry oil and call her a day.

Super Tech 10W-30 - $2.74 @ qt at Wal-mart. Probably cheaper if you by it in the 4 or 5qt containers.

That's the odd thing, some move some don't. Some are parts cars, yet still take up time and space.

Originally Posted By: splinter

What are typical oil+filter renewal regimens on your other six vehicles?

Yeah...might as well do that I am thinking Might as well get some use out of the "old" Foz stuff since long OCI is generally a no-no in Fozland.

Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
Frankenbrew or reuse the T6. Super S HM on sale right now would be tempting. I wouldn't go cheap on the filter, new oil might get some crud stirred up. Up size the filter if you can.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
finally, i love this kind of discussion.

whatever your daily driver is, reuse that oil in your POS. who cares if its 5w20 or 0w20, just toss in the fry oil and call her a day.

Yes, finally a post that I have wanted to post.
smile.gif

Lol,

I lack the motivation to check for this situation I really do. It really does have an owners manual, but I love this place too much. I didn't care about it because it was misfiring severely as I drove it. It was ready to be donated until I took a peek at the coil wire and coil cap then noticed rust which I sanded off.

Caring about the beater is all relative to my other vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Noey
It's funny that you say you don't care about this "beater", yet take the time out to ask what to use.

What does GM spec in the book?

Given the amount you drive and the temp changes, I think something like a 10W-30 would work nicely, change it yearly with the filter, too. Any brand will do.

Originally Posted By: Tzu
Have you ever thought of just getting a trailer to pull the garbage once a week for a 3 mile round trip in another vehicle? The bare bones insurance on my beater old Camry is $475.00 per year, but I do drive it about 11,000 miles per year as well since I have an Impala/Silverado as my nicer vehicles. I don't save that in fuel over driving my truck or Impala, but it is nice to have. You might be paying more for insurance than everything in the maintenance costs combined.

Personally, I would spend the $20 at Walmart on PYB10w30/ AC Delco once a year and change the oil/filter and then it's done for another year. Maybe have more uses for the truck to justify it's usefulness? But, I'm sure the truck is worth atleast the $20 just for the convenience. There is a recent thread here about a guy that never changes his oil, just the filter and tops off and he seems to be doing fine. Maybe that is the way to go here?

Thanks I REALLY did, but I really don't want to stand in the DMV line paying to title and register a trailer along with tagging it.

Then there is an insurance requirement as well.

I have also heard that unless you size things correctly, backing a trailer can be a pain too.

I also don't want to screw up my Caravan's tranny and pay for a receiver on top of a trailer.

Originally Posted By: mjk
I guess I am not seeing in the post, how much oil it is going thru during your typical year.

Whatever your choose to do, given the mileage, I'd probably try to save money and throw it at the other issues that the truck has (slowly, over time).

I see no consumption...but the truck only has like 600 miles on it.

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
Originally Posted By: Chris142
how about you buy 2 gallons of 5w40 hdeo and 4 filters. every year change a filter and top off the oil. when the filters and oil are changed/used up do a oil change. should be every 4 yrs.

This is a really good idea. I might suggest using an inexpensive synthetic API SN 5w-30 though. Any of those other 6 vehicles use 5w-30?

Some of these cars are down, but when all is said and done:

5w-40 T6 from the Subaru Forester XT with a 3750 OCI

10w-30 M1 in my Galant VR4 (rarely used) 3k-5K intended OCI and my Talon TSI AWD same engine/turbo etc but this might be a daily 3k-5k intended OCI...also using 10w-30 in my Caravan with a 5k mile OCI

0w-20 in my Focus Zx3 more than likely...might be a non highway daily 10k-15k intended OCI

I bought an 1988 Chev PU new; it had the 350 cid (5.7L) engine. Drove it 200K mi and used 10w30 dino, which was what the owner's manual called for. I tried 5w30 and syn 10w30. Both resulted in increased oil consumption. I suppose 10w40 might be OK, but I wouldn't go any heavier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back