oil spots on driveway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok.. someone please tell me what works at getting oil spots off of the drive way. I want something that works but not something that is a extreme hazard to use. There has got to be a good product out there. I have a pressure washer but it needs some help.

Last edited:
If you get them early then kitty litter ground up into the spill takes mine out.

If the stains have been sitting there for some time, a concentrate like Simple green full strength and allow it to sit on it for a few minutes, hit it with the washer and repeat will normally work.

The only time it has not for me is if the stain has been there and the cement get direct sun and high temps. Then its more of a job.

Good luck!

Bill

I use kitty litter and grind it into the stain with a mini sledge hammer. After letting this sit for 24 hours, most stains get lifted, although some stubborn stains have required a second treatment.

I got some full strength professional degreaser thats full of nasty chemicals that will probably cause cancer in a brown bottle. it smells bad but i drop that on the spot for a few days then hose it off. I can see if I can get the name if I find it in the garage lol.

If the spot is new enough regular ol' gas will usually do the trick.

Last edited:
Don't use castrol on asphalt, it'll eat it up. Powdered laundry soap works pretty good, I leave it on for a couple days then clean it up.

I use Dawn dish soap and a stiff bristled brush. Get a small bottle, squeeze some on, scrub, rinse, repeat until the bottle is up. Should get everything off, but very well set stains may only fade.

At least the Dawn won't kill you
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Nukeman7
There is a product called "Pour-n- Restore" available at ACE hardware stores that works like magic. It is citrus based and safe to use. Just pour it on the oil stain, spread it out thin and let it dry before sweeping it up. Here is their website: http://www.pour-n-restore.com/oilstain.htm

I had to ask my local store to order it for me. Worked great! I went back to the store and dared the owner to come out tell me where the oil was!

I have an all concrete driveway, but I hae had very good luck with the floor dry method. I just dump it on and grind it into the stain with the heel of my shoe. In a day or two, the stain is gone.

Oil dry and do the "twist" on it. Using the balls of your feet, grind the oil-dry into the stain, wait a few hours, and then sweep off. You can also use the back of a wooden floor broom to grind it into the stain. Works great on my driveway. Locally, a 25lb bag of genuine oil dry is about $4.00.

we've always just gotten dry dishwashing detergent, poured a small pile over the spot and let it sit there until it rained...did a pretty good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back