Oil regimen of a friend - what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I told me friend I was interested in feed back on his oil change regimen. It's different than most. The OCI's are fairly short so maybe it doesn't matter at all. He's not a Bitoger type. I recommended some filters and oils to him but he's fairly happy with what he's doing. Comments welcome.

The cars: 5 Toyota product cars 1999-2000 models have between 101,000-194,000 miles , and were well cared for, before we got them,

We bought them from 2010-2015.

2 are 3.0 liter V-6, Avalons, 99 & 2000

3 are 4.0 liter v-8, Lexus GS400, one-1999 & two - 2000

These cars are freaky in that almost every time I get gas, and I gas all five of our cars, I check the oil. They don't burn, or lose oil, anywhere, during the oil change cycle, & to me, that's freaky, for cars that are this old.

They are all 100% stock. Combination of short and long trips in warm Orange County, California.

Regimen for the past 2 years:

1 quart generic 10-30 full synthetic, currently STP 10-30 full synthetic

1/2 quart, Double concentrated Rislone engine treatment

Mechanic fills in the rest with his 5-30 conventional bulk Mobil.

And he uses his own oil filters, some no name brand, he swears by, as being good, no name filters.

I go 3,000-6,000 max but most frequently go 2,500-4,000 between oil changes, with him. Note that prior to 2 yrs ago he just filled with conventional oil at the mechanic's shop - no additives, no mixing. He said some of the cars (Avalon) were using up to 1/2 qt per 3,000 miles. Now, zero usage.

MMO in the gas tank, about 8 ounces, per 19 gallon fill up, every 4th fill up.

1uz-fe in the GS400 is bulletproof ...
I'm not surprised the Avalon is burning oil

I think the only thing helping with the oil burning is the rislone ..

I want you to start cutting open those filters....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
1uz-fe in the GS400 is bulletproof ...
I'm not surprised the Avalon is burning oil

I think the only thing helping with the oil burning is the rislone ..

I want you to start cutting open those filters....

What would you expect to find in those filters? I'm not familiar with the Rislone. One of his Avalons was burning oil in the pre-Rislone days....but per my friend, not any longer.

Nothing 'freaky' going on here. Probably could run all on the mechanic's conventional 5W30 and no-name filters with a 5k OCI and have the exact same result. Toyota and especially Lexus are the best engines money can buy so it's not surprising they run well for a long time.

I seriously doubt all the funny business with 1qt of Syn 10W30 + 1/2qt Rislone + MMO in the gas tank every 4 tanks does any good. My wife's 2nd-hand 2001 Lexus runs like new despite the PO doing Jiffy-Lube every 3k.

What is going on here? There seems to be a lot of mixing of "he", "we" and "I" in your post. So you (in CT) bought 5 vehicles with your friend (but he owns them), you fill them up with gas every time (in CA) but he has a mechanic change the oil using this concoction (is the mechanic in NE?)?

Originally Posted By: howie2092
Nothing 'freaky' going on here. Probably could run all on the mechanic's conventional 5W30 and no-name filters with a 5k OCI and have the exact same result.

This.

Toyota is to be congratulated for building good engines more than the mechanic is for the oil change regimen.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
What is going on here? There seems to be a lot of mixing of "he", "we" and "I" in your post. So you (in CT) bought 5 vehicles with your friend (but he owns them), you fill them up with gas every time (in CA) but he has a mechanic change the oil using this concoction (is the mechanic in NE?)?

I had to read the original post a few times to untwist the mystery myself. The twist that one guy from CT fuels all 5 vehicles that are located in CA kind of pushes the "friend" story. The OP that buys the MMO, the Risoline and the one quart of generic 10w30 full synthetic but lets the mechanic use a no name filter is kind of stumping.

The 2500-4000 mile oil changes with all the concoctions are strange as well.

So the question is what do I think about your friends oil regimen?

" Note that prior to 2 yrs ago he just filled with conventional oil at the mechanic's shop - no additives, no mixing"

I think 'your friend' had a great regimen. And he is lucky to have a 'friend' like you that helped him buy these vehicles and has someone to fuel for him.

Been using Rislone for decades - fine additive
smile.gif

Have not done a 1qt full syn, rest dino on anything...

But, if that 1 qt full syn (ester oil?) is really a premium synthetic, I could see the cleaning advantages... Sort of a common mans AutoRX idea ...

It might make to a good regimen... I see no harm in it
smile.gif

Appreciate the constructive comments concerning the oils and additives. I'll pass them along to him (ie everything after "the cars:" is from his email to me).

The ones "confused" about who bought or owns the cars should have better things to do with their time. My friend's comments were pasted in from his email to me. Everything after the first 2 lines of lead in are my friend's comments. Those are his uses of I, we, me, our, mechanic, etc. I just pasted that long description after my first few sentences. He has a wife and 2 kids so these are "their" cars including back ups. In hindsight, surrounding his original text in quotes or italics would have been clearer.

It's pretty clear I don't own their cars as they don't appear in my sig line. Nor can I refuel his cars located in California via the gas pumps in Connecticut....lol. I guess if I altered my friend's original text, I'd have been accused of altering original "documents" as well. Can't win sometimes....lol. No good deed goes unpunished.

It's sort of coincidental that the 2 readers who had trouble figuring out the original post are from the same state as my friend. ????

So this got me to thinking about how to use up some HDEO and tweak it a bit in some older V8's
laugh.gif
So today O bought a jug of SuperTech full syn 10W-30 (Warren) and will spill a qt in with each Rotella change (T1). Make my own mini blend
smile.gif

For the motors over 200K, I'll toss in 8 oz of Kreen too
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back