oil recommendations for a 2008 crown vic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, i just purchased a 2008 crown vic police interceptor with the 4.6L v8. The car was an unmarked unit and has about 155,000km/96,000m & 1800h on the idle meter. The owners manual calls for 5w20. I live in toronto ontario, Canada. The car will see mainly highway and will be driven hard. I know i will be using a motorcraft fl820s but im not sure about conventional 5w20.....I was thinking about a high mileage 5w20 or conventional 5W30. I appriciate all and every opinion.
Thanks in advance

mustang, can you get Motorcraft 5W-20 up there? The Ford modular motors love this stuff.

Having said that, you can use any good 5W-20/30.

My department uses these VICS and Petro Canada oil, in NYC. After seeing the abuse they take 24 hrs a day on petro canada, i tell you you cant go wrong.

I love these cars. The 2004 and up models really move!

What is so "hard" about your driving style? That car has a tremendous cooling system (including an oil cooler), and is designed to handle max speed until it runs out of gas. Conventional 5w20 will do fine, and so will 5w30...synthetics are great as well if you so desire.

While you have the car in the shop, be sure to check the condition of the other drivetrain fluids. The rear axle may still have the factory gear lube, and despite Ford's claim that the lube is a "lifetime fill" I would change it with 75w140 synthetic.

Something else to check - The exhaust manifold bolts, these cars love to break them.

-Robert

We use the 5W20 Motorcraft Blend in all our P71'S. My kid has 300K miles on his 00. We tried other oils but the Motorcraft holds up the best. Make sure you use a Motorcraft filter so you do not get piston slap.

Good luck with your very nice ride. I know you will enjoy yours like we do ours.

RF, motorcraft oil is dealer only so it will be too expensive.....Rob the car will see a lot of WOT......will check the rear end fluid.

What about maxlife 5w20?

Anybody's 5-20 is very well built to handle the tough specs that a 5-20 has to pass.
I sure like MC, but the new Pennzoil yellow bottle is also great.
You could use a 5-30 in summer.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
5W-20 will work just fine in that car. Since you're there, try the Petro Canada 5W-20, an excellent oil.

If I could not get the Motorcraft I would go with the Petro Canada 5W20.

Originally Posted By: mustang
RF, motorcraft oil is dealer only so it will be too expensive.....Rob the car will see a lot of WOT......will check the rear end fluid.

What about maxlife 5w20?

you will be very happy with maxlife use it with confidants
56.gif

All my fords like MC 5W20, or pyb 5W20, and they both great price at wallyworld! I personally use the yellow bottle in all mine. 02 Mustang GT gets it too in 5W20. See's lots of high rpms, and runs down the track. No problem. Got 128K and doesn't use any!
banana2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back