Oil recommendations for 2020 Jetta 1.4t

Hey everyone so I’m curious in the states the Jetta calls for 0w20, does this engine use 0w20 across the pond or is 0w20 a cafe standard sort of thing? 0w20 in a turbo car just feels weird to me but I could be crazy? What do you guys think is a good choice for this little bugger?

0w20 but the important thing for warranty purposes is it has to meet VW508.00 certification.

Yes, 508.00 is also used across the pond

https://erwin.vw.com/ gives you more choices than the US owners manuals does here.
1.4L DGXA / DJXA
VW 508 0W-20
VW 504 0W-30
VW 502 5W-40

US owner's manual says you can use a pint(for top off) of 'other' oils. 508 is for best fuel economy. So, its definitely a CAFE/EPA thing but also helps to have a variable oil pump and coolant used for oil cooling/heating.

My peak 1.4T oil temp with mildly aggressive driving was ~220°F because of the superb oil cooler/heater. You would have to beat the snot out of it to make you think that you'd need anything thicker. I can putt around all day at 180°F which shouldn't stress a 0w20 at all.

If engine oil that meets the applicable Volkswagen oil quality standard with viscosity grade SAE 0W-20 is not available in your area, be sure to use a viscosity grade suitable for the
climate, season, and operating conditions that exist where the vehicle is used....

Using oil with a viscosity grade other than SAE 0W-20 may cause vehicle emissions and fuel consumption to increase slightly.

Erwin doesn't have the fear scare or pint limitations that the US owners manual stated. The US owners manual offers the 5w-30 that was missing in Irwin. And, neither mentioned 0w40(which should be a no brainer).

My only recommendation is to use 'synthetic oil'. And, I am no fan of the 10000 mile interval recommended here. Seen too many run out of oil before 10k miles.

Stick with VW 508 0w20. The engine is designed to use it and its also a demanding spec. VAG uses it in some much more powerful engines than the 1.4

As mentioned the cooling on the 1.4 is excellent. I've never hit more than 218f flogging it and it cools down very quickly when you settle down.

I would suggest what the manual recommends if that's vw 508, 0w20. Then that's a fine choice.

Lots of threads here on this already. My lease 2019 Jetta 1.4t 6M was nosiy when hot on the 0W20 VAG 508/509.

At my my second OC, now with MOTUL 508, the engine was REALLY noisy and low on power. It also started burning that oil.
When it was down a litre, I had some Mobil 1 0W40FS for my home air-cooled generator and I topped off with that. Presto! change-o, no more racket and stronger upper RPM power and no oil usage. That oil was in there for almost 7K miles, the oil looked pretty on the dipstick when the lease was turned in.

My actual experience as an owner - not bench racing

- Ken

0w20 but the important thing for warranty purposes is it has to meet VW508.00 certification.

Yes, 508.00 is also used across the pond
No. It can use any current gasoline approval including VW502.00 unless equipped with GPF.
In Europe depending on market is recommended to use different approvals (weights).

508.00 spec oil is what you need as outlined in the manual and under the hood. One requirement of that spec is 0w20. What you need to be more concerned about is finding an oil that meets 508.00 spec. I've read of many owners stating "508.00 is 0w20, therefor I can use any 0w20", which is in correct.

Personally I use the OE VW/Audi branded 508.00 available at your local VW/Audi dealer or online. I get it from ECS tuning. There are other 508.00 spec options but that is what I've landed on.

No need to worry about the lower viscosity 0w20 in this engine. 2019+ 1.4 models are designed to run it as other members have already pointed out. There are much much higher powered twin turbo Audi's running around on it with no issues.

508.00 and enjoy.

More of you really since you asked.
O.k. lets all just "play pretend" here an discount members related personal experience.

I'll pretend my car ran perfectly and had no rod rap when warm. Since its ALL in my imagination.

HTHS doesn't matter a whit, Run 0W16. If it doesn't rap on 20 might as well take it down ANOTHER notch.
to "feel the bottom"

When I owned my 2016 Jetta Sport w the 1.8l it was spec'd 502 5w40 and changed at 5k intervals. It was smooth and quiet and got 42mpg on hwy 5speed MT but needed a 6 speed. Loved that car reminded me of my old 2002 C240 Mercedes except it was a lot quicker than the C240s v6. My Honda and Expedition are spec'd 5w20 and I run 5w30 in them, 5w40 when towing w the Ford. Use what you think is best, I personally would run QSFS Euro 5w40 or PP 0w40 Euro in it and change at 5k.

Stick with VW 508 0w20. The engine is designed to use it and its also a demanding spec. VAG uses it in some much more powerful engines than the 1.4

As mentioned the cooling on the 1.4 is excellent. I've never hit more than 218f flogging it and it cools down very quickly when you settle down.
I can't add a thing to this. Excellent advice. Stick to 508.

Lots of threads here on this already. My lease 2019 Jetta 1.4t 6M was nosiy when hot on the 0W20 VAG 508/509.

At my my second OC, now with MOTUL 508, the engine was REALLY noisy and low on power. It also started burning that oil.
When it was down a litre, I had some Mobil 1 0W40FS for my home air-cooled generator and I topped off with that. Presto! change-o, no more racket and stronger upper RPM power and no oil usage. That oil was in there for almost 7K miles, the oil looked pretty on the dipstick when the lease was turned in.

My actual experience as an owner - not bench racing

- Ken
It's more likely you screwed something up rather than the oil being a problem.

It's more likely you screwed something up rather than the oil being a problem.
How is that? Plus adding the qt of 0w40 got rid of the rapping and improved upper end torque production and that lasted a year. All oil changes were performed at the dealer. If you are going to cast aspersions better back it up with some relevant thoughts.

How is that? Plus adding the qt of 0w40 got rid of the rapping and improved upper end torque production and that lasted a year. All oil changes were performed at the dealer. If you are going to cast aspersions better back it up with some relevant thoughts.
How's this for relevant thoughts - literally nobody that's done an oil change with 0w20 on a 1.4 Jetta has complained about their engine feeling like trash.

Going with thicker oil doesn't give you more power, it increases friction. Going thinner is what makes you feel like the engine has freed up more hp.

How's this for relevant thoughts - literally nobody that's done an oil change with 0w20 on a 1.4 Jetta has complained about their engine feeling like trash.

Going with thicker oil doesn't give you more power, it increases friction. Going thinner is what makes you feel like the engine has freed up more hp.
I was doing this when new and hot prior to the OC. And How is changing the oil with a premium synthetic meeting VAW 508/509 "screwing things up".

The old "Nobody has ..." argument is a straw man.

I do agree to run as light as you can get away with - I am not a "too thick is not thick enough" guy.

But if an engine is rapping with a light grade / low HTHS oil when hot, then either A) that owner got a car with over-clearanced bearings B) the spec oil is too thin.

Do you believe that there is a possibility of A) occurring in a mass produced, inexpensive economy car ?

- Ken

Back