Oil recommendations for 2013 Toyota Yaris 1.3L - 2nz-fe in Australia

Hi all, Im looking to find an oil for my new to me little daily commute Toyota Yaris 1.3 (2nz-fe). Its a 2013 model with 50K km on the clock. Ill be putting 120km on it most weekdays so want to get a decent oil for longish OCI and hopefully stick to it.
10 plus years ago I had this motor in an early model echo and I tried various oils in it incl. Castrol edge 5w30 and Penrite HPR5 5W40, but my memory isn't clear with what I used most often.
I was wondering if the Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 would be ok in the 1.3 yaris or is it just too thick. I always have it around as that what Ive had in my 4.7 v8 LCruiser for years now.
Looking at Supercheap Auto the other day, I was blown away by the choices.
Any recommendations out there would he much appreciated. The user manual mentions 5w30 and even 20w50!! but the recommended is 10w30.
Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• 20211216_150824.jpg
    20211216_150824.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 256
Looks like they recommend 10W-30 (if I'm reading that right). That's always a good "go-to" oil.

Your Yaris 2NZ-FE engine will remain incredibly durable and long lived with 10w-30 in it. Going too thick (Xw-50) especially during cooler weather will likely cause it to become unnecessarily sluggish. Your Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 would work great in it during the hotter months.

Hi all, Im looking to find an oil for my new to me little daily commute Toyota Yaris 1.3 (2nz-fe). Its a 2013 model with 50K km on the clock. Ill be putting 120km on it most weekdays so want to get a decent oil for longish OCI and hopefully stick to it.
10 plus years ago I had this motor in an early model echo and I tried various oils in it incl. Castrol edge 5w30 and Penrite HPR5 5W40, but my memory isn't clear with what I used most often.
I was wondering if the Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 would be ok in the 1.3 yaris or is it just too thick. I always have it around as that what Ive had in my 4.7 v8 LCruiser for years now.
Looking at Supercheap Auto the other day, I was blown away by the choices.
Any recommendations out there would he much appreciated. The user manual mentions 5w30 and even 20w50!! but the recommended is 10w30.
Cheers
Drew
I would be using a semi synthetic Use 10w30 as per manufacturer recommendations however one could use a 5w30 full synthetic for added protection.

As a side note my 2017 Hyundai Elantra calls up a broad range of viscosities for Australia from 5w20, 5w30, 10w30 and 15w40.The temperature the vehicle is operating in can have an effect on the choice of viscosity.

Any brand of oil that meets the specification can be used Shell, Castrol and Valvoline would be good choices, check Supercheap Auto and Autobarn for frequent specials.

Thanks very much for all the replies, its a great help. Ive just had a look on the Supercheap Auto site, some good specials on Castrol edge and the shell ultra helix 5w30. Im not sure why the shell ultra 5w30 isnt down as "suitable" for the little yaris, even though it is 5w30. Im trying to find somewhere that simply explains all the different ratings and licences, eg. Is the Dexos licence useful for the toyota? The Nulon 5w30 is cheap too, but just want to make a good choice and stick to it. The Penrite Enviro+GF5 might be ok for the yaris too (Im pretty sure thats what my wife puts in her cruze) so it would be handy if that was ok for the yaris.
Cheers everyone, appreciate your help

Any 5W-30 synthetic will do. IMO, all the NZs will start to burn oil - especially the Prius variant. A piston soak with the most aggressive carb cleaner or top engine cleaner isn’t a bad idea.

My first pick would be Castrol Edge 10W30 A5/B5, it’s a great oil and easy to find, but rarely on sale.

Otherwise two good oils that are commonly on sale is:
- Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4 with MB229.5 & BMW LL-01
- Nulon 5W30 Full Synthetic with Dexos1-Gen2

My first pick would be Castrol Edge 10W30 A5/B5, it’s a great oil and easy to find, but rarely on sale.

Otherwise two good oils that are commonly on sale is:
- Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4 with MB229.5 & BMW LL-01
- Nulon 5W30 Full Synthetic with Dexos1-Gen2
Thanks very much for all the information. Ive seen the Edge 5w30 A3/B4 is on sale so will give it a go. Ive also found some very helpful old posts (thanks SR5) which have given me better understanding of some of the differences between A3/B4 A5/B5 etc.
Would using the Shell ultra 5w40 A3/B4 result in more sluggish operation but still he ok in our hot summer driving?

The Castrol Edge 5w30 full synthetic would be a good choice for most Australian conditions and is in fact the oil I use; however using Shell Ultra 5w40 A3/B4 in Continuous high temps could be beneficial

Ive seen the Edge 5w30 A3/B4 is on sale so will give it a go......
Would using the Shell ultra 5w40 A3/B4 result in more sluggish operation but still he ok in our hot summer driving?
Hey Mate,

Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4.
API SL (due to ZDDP limits applied to 30 grades, but not 40 grades, has ~1000ppm Zinc), ACEA A3/B4 (so TBN is 10 or more), MB 229.5 (so Noack is 10% or less), BMW LL-01, VW 502/505.
KV100 = 11.9 cSt, VI = 183, SA = 1.2%, FP = 234C (D93), PP = -45C (D97).

Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 (SHU).
API SP, ACEA A3/B4, MB 229.5, BMW LL-01, VW 502/505, Porsche A40.
KV100 = 13.1 cSt, PP = -45C (D97). It's hard to get data for this oil, due to slim Shell PDS data sheets.

They are both great oils, top tier from both companies. The Shell looks a bit better on paper due to a 30 grade being treated differently, by both API and Porsche, but I wouldn't read too much into that. I have happily used both Edge & SHU before.

Buy on price and be happy. Both would work well for you.

If they are both the same price, and right in front of you? I would grab the Edge, this is ample for a 1.3L Yaris 4-banger. If you have spare SHU from the LandCruiser, you can use it, no worries. I've used both in my Astra 4-banger, I didn't notice any significant change, same with GTX 15W40.

Last edited:
I’ve read that where you are Castrol Magnatec 10W-40 is a good product; and would work well in a hard-revving Toyota 4-cylinder engine. That’s definetly what I would run.

I’ve read that where you are Castrol Magnatec 10W-40 is a good product; and would work well in a hard-revving Toyota 4-cylinder engine. That’s definetly what I would run.
Yep, a good oil, and very often at a good price too.

I wonder why they have the 1.3l in Australia and the 1.5L here in the states? I have a 2015 and it has the 1.5L Which I run mobile 1 OW40 euro blend like I do in everything else. Here lately it’s been harder to find the ow40 and not sure what I’d use if I can’t get it.

Interesting, do you know what the owner’s manual calls up. There may be a range of viscosities to choose from.

I wonder why they have the 1.3l in Australia and the 1.5L here in the states? I have a 2015 and it has the 1.5L Which I run mobile 1 OW40 euro blend like I do in everything else. Here lately it’s been harder to find the ow40 and not sure what I’d use if I can’t get it.
They came with the 1.3 in the poverty packs, higher spec models had the 1.5.

SR5 is spot on with the recommendation to use Edge 5w30 too :)

A 5W-30 would be an all around great formulation to use no matter the brand in a "full synthetic". Tonka tough enough. Driving normal enough.

If you cannot keep your Welly out of it? Go up to a synthetic weight of nearly any low to medium SAPs 0W-40 or even 15W-40 full synthetic in the blistering hot months. Of course drive moderately until full hot and then give her all the beans! ;>

Interesting, do you know what the owner’s manual calls up. There may be a range of viscosities to choose from.
The first post has a image from the Aussies owners manual, it lists 5W30, 10W30, 15W40 and 20W50 as fine, with 10W30 "recommended".

Is this a real question concerning oil for a very small displacement engine with a moderate redline and moderate power? 5w-30 and get some other things done.

Back