Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been lurking around this site for quite a while and just love all the great advice. Now I would like a recommendation for my 2001 chevy prizm. It has about 90,000 miles on it and is my daily driver. Since I've had it I change the oil every 3000 with 5w30 penzoil yb. But sometimes I hear a ticking and was wondering if I should up the weight, or use HM oil. It doesn't burn oil or leak but this engine is a known leaker and possible sludge issuer. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Randy

Is the tick from a fuel injector? Or does it sound like a lifter tick? If its a lifter tick try adding a pint of Marvel Mystery Oil about 1000 miles before the next oil change. That should help, clean things up. Then do it again at the end of the following OC.

Welcome to Bitog.

AD

Any SM rated oil would be more than fine for 5K Miles in that engine at the bare minimum. Changing it at 3K Miles is a waste of money IMO.
thumbsup2.gif

The ticking could be lifter tick or injectors, as already mentioned. In either case I wouldn't worry about it as most of the time this noise is normal.

You could do a UOA on one of your oil changes to see if there is excess wear metals in the sample for your own piece of mind.

welcome2.gif
by the way... I know you have been registered since '08, but I see this is your first post.

cheers3.gif

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back