Oil Recommendation for Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Oil Gurus,

I am looking for advice on what oil brand/viscosity to use on my vehicle.

I own a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0t (Turbo) , now I read the owners manual. 5w-40 is the viscosity recommended along with a VW 502 00 requirement. I have been using Liqui Moly, but I found this website and looking for what the experts here can suggest! My car is a daily driver of 80 highway/20 city driving. Commute about 70 miles a day.

2009 Volkswagen Jetta
2.0t Turbo (gas)
140k Miles
Chicago Illinois (cold/hot weather)

Thanks!!!

Mobil 1 0w40

grin2.gif

Excellent, now only question is the Mobil site suggests Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 , is this the same version you guys speak of? I have posted link below.

https://mobiloil.com/en/product-selector?Year=2009&Make=Vm9sa3N3YWdlbg%3D%3D&Model=SmV0dGE%3D&Engine=V29sZnNidXJnIEVkaXRpb24gNC1DeWwgMi4wIChDQ1RBKSAoR0FTKQ%3D%3D

my suggestion is shell rotella T6 5w 40

I maintain a friends 2012 VW Cici with a 2.0 turbo and have had good results , car see about the same use as your car , my friend is a sales guy and lives downtown , I have been running 7-8 k OCI and have had no issues in 49 k of use after the warranty expired

nice thing is you can get rotella T 6 at any place trucks are around or at walmart and my local pep boys stocks it

T6 is ok, but honestly per quart M1 0w40 or Edge 0w40 is cheaper. Ran both T6 and Edge in my 2.5 Jetta and never could tell the difference. The GTI is running (as mentioned a dozen times before, lol) Edge 0w40 at the moment. Can be had on sale at Wal-Mart for about $23/5qt jug. I understand the appeal of a high dollar oil such as Liqui Moly, but looking at all the specs Edge 0w40 is a winner when price compared.

Wow this place loves oil! Appreciate all the advice, I’m torn between Mobil and T6 and Castrol now!!!

Does walmart carry the castrol European version in the USA? I’ve seen castrol but don’t recall the vw 502 00 stamp in the back of it.

Either Castrol Edge 0W40 or Mobil 1 0W-40 FS
Both carry VW 502.00 / 505.00

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: davizzel
Does walmart carry the castrol European version in the USA? I’ve seen castrol but don’t recall the vw 502 00 stamp in the back of it.

Sure does. This is the back of the bottle I bought at Wal-Mart a while back.

04F16yx.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back