Oil Recommendation for Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may have decided by now but I would only use Amsoil or Schaeffer. Third Choice would be Castrol. I wouldn't have any other choices...LOL

However, any of the oils mentioned above would be fine. What is your OCI?

OK.....my 2 cents.....

Back in the day, I owned a 2003 Audi A4 1.8 liter turbo AWD that was feed a steady diet of Mobil One 0w40.......never had an issue and I felt good about my choice..........again my 2 cents...

Just saying.......

(Side note: that was a FUN car to drive!)

Don’t look back.......
laugh.gif

Castrol Edge 0W40 is what im running in the new Jetta in signature paired with a Fram Ultra. Give it a shot, im sure you will be happy!!!

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Mobil 1 5W40 Turbo Diesel Truck or Rotella T6 5W40. If you want more exotic oil, Motul makes a 5W40 specifically for Volkswagen OEM use:

http://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/specific-505-01-502-00-5w40

Well, Castrol and Mobil have oils specifically for Volkswagen use sitting on the shelf right next to the two oils you recommended. Cheaper, too.

Yes, there's no point in doing anything else.

And as for Motul being more "exotic" there is no evidence it is any better in any way.

I just went through this for my son's new GTI. VW manual pretty much requires 502.00 approved oil. The viscosity is a recommendation. I found M1 and Castrol edge at Walmart both had European Formulas that state 502.00 approval and both only in 0W-40 in the store. About $25/5 qt jug. Look for the Large European Formula label on M1 and small print on from of Castrol Edge.

the 0w40 castrol is a little thicker than the M1 0w40 iirc. Usually the M1 shears to a thick 30 pretty quickly because it's so borderline. Being turbo charged, I would prefer the slightly thicker oil, but honestly it probably makes zero real difference. Either are fantastic oils

Originally Posted By: Smoqueed
the 0w40 castrol is a little thicker than the M1 0w40 iirc. Usually the M1 shears to a thick 30 pretty quickly because it's so borderline. Being turbo charged, I would prefer the slightly thicker oil, but honestly it probably makes zero real difference. Either are fantastic oils

Where have you seen this? What I've seen posted lately is that it's been very shear stable.

At least when you can differentiate between fuel dilution and actual mechanical shear, which I'm not convinced you can with nearly all the UOA posted here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back