Oil Recommendation For New Kohler

Originally Posted by Skol8480
If your dipstick is Cub Cadet yellow like mine is making it [censored] near impossible to see your oil level, I'd recommend Royal Purple just for the ease of checking the oil. At least that's what I'm doing next season!

I add a bit of Mos2 (LubriMoly) to mine. Don't want to start a war on Mos2, but it works and it does color the oil enough to see it on a dipstick.

I run Rotella 15-40 synthetic blend in my Cub Cadet with Kohler engine and in my Murray with a Briggs.

kolher recommends 10-30 only! there is a reason for this. they use lifters with undersize oil passages and will clog if thicker oil is used. had many issues with my 23 hp kolher. problem solved when I switched to kolher brand 10/30. its also high in zync

Originally Posted by super20dan
kolher recommends 10-30 only! there is a reason for this. they use lifters with undersize oil passages and will clog if thicker oil is used. had many issues with my 23 hp kolher. problem solved when I switched to kolher brand 10/30. its also high in zync

sounds like a fragile engine.....

. had many issues with my 23 hp kolher. problem solved when I switched to kolher brand 10/30. its also high in zync

Did your lifters sieze or what? What were those "many issues" in particular....

I've had many of those Kohler Commands apart. 10w30 is recommended, but I can't see how even a 20w50 would clog the passages. The only way they would clog is if you don't change the oil enough and dirt or sludge gets in there.

I would never buy the kolher twin cyl again. lifters ticked and clattered till switched to kolher oil. other issues-magnetos -both went out ay same time! replaced only to have another failure in short order. I changed oil every 25 hrs. had 1700 hrs when I sold the pos. I have several twin Kawasaki twins and the difference is nite and day

I have a 7000series. Ran kohler oil/filter at 5hrs service. At 100hrs ran edge ep 10w-30 and purolator. Now at 200hrs I am gonna use gtx classic 20w-50 and fl-910s, I plan to use this oil for life of mower/engine.

harvey

Back