Oil recommendation for an 88 325is? Rotella T6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys!

New member here

Wondering what your thoughts on Rotella T6 5W40 oil is for my old BMW?

Its a symthetic oil that takes place of the old 15w40 M1 I used to run it on (since canada doesnt' offer M1 15w40 anymore):/

Is this oil too thin for summer? I'm currently having the head gasket replaced and since it doesn't get driven in winter, and it has had the valve seals already replaced, is this ok? or too thin?

thanks in advance

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Wondering what your thoughts on Rotella T6 5W40 oil is for my old BMW?

This, or any other 5w-40 oil should work just fine.

Do you have an owner's manual??

49e079ea.jpg

My 91 with the M42 4 cyl engine loves T6 5w-40. Id also give Delo syn a try too.

Not too thin at all. If you want, you can run a 15w-40 conventional just as well. If you absolutely prefer synthetic, Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 can be had at the distributor for half the price of any 5w-40 at retail. Also, check your local Shell distributor for pricing on Rotella 5w-40, and trucking outfits for Delo LE 5w-40.

Originally Posted By: jamesyarbrough
M1 0w40

Great option, but in Canada, he's stuck buying it a litre at a time, with a regular price of around $11 or $12 a litre. That's double the Delvac 1 price.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: jamesyarbrough
M1 0w40

Great option, but in Canada, he's stuck buying it a litre at a time, with a regular price of around $11 or $12 a litre. That's double the Delvac 1 price.

Exactly. Currently it's on sale at Canadian tire for 34.39 for 5 litres. Far cheaper than any M1 variety

I'm not totally sold on synthetic, but it's what the previous owner ran in my car when I purchased it. When doing a valve adjustment, the cam and valavetrain were extremely clean.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Do you have an owner's manual??

49e079ea.jpg

I referenced the owners manual, but it says nothing for 5W40 as I dont' think that was offered when the e30 was built

No, I'm betting 15w-40 was the most recommended grade. I'm getting Delvac 1 at a regular price of about $25 a jug, which is better than any of CT's sales on synthetic. I bet a SOPUS distributor could get you a similar price on Rotella 5w-40. Alternatively, trucking outfits (shops, not truck stops) often have nice little deals.

Wow, that chart says 20W-50 is good from -10 F to +120 F.

It also says 10W-40 is not safe above +60 F.

Why do BMW's require such thick oil ?

Back in 1988 I worked in service at the local BMW dealership. We got many questions concerning the use of synthetic engine oil. BMW's official reply in writing was NO- Nicht!

BMW was very unadventurous and slow to recommend synthetic engine oil..for many reasons. They had not tested it was the big reason, unproven and concerns about our litigious society kept the engineers in the 1970s. The BMW oil chart is all 1970s Dino oil..thick and traditional.

We had many customers who used Mobil 1 without issues and I never would have kicked a warranty claim if they had. We did have customers with problems (oil consumption, leaks and a blown engine or two..the type/viscosity of engine oil question only needed to be documented for consumption problems)

One of BMW's engine oil problems were caused by air leaks as the complete engine is under manifold vacuum when the engine is running. (take the oil cap off when the engine is running and the engine should start running poorly..air leak) The other is the oiling tube under the valve cover..the banjo bolts come loose, leak off oil pressure and wipe out your camshaft. Check them.

Rotella T6 is a good choice..use it with confidence.

banjo_bolts.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back