Oil recommendation 2014 CR-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
My last Honda, a 2011 Civic, I used PP 5w20 and purolators. It seemed pretty happy with that, but wanted to throw it out there and see what comes back. I'll do it by the numbers. I'm still on the FF but just thinking ahead.

1. What kind of vehicle you have
2014 CR-V

2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well
0w20

3. Where you live
SW Missouri
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
Pretty easy

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
12 mi each way to work and back, about 8 highway 4 city.

6. Whether your car has any known problems
None.

Any 0w20 will work fine.

I like when Napa Synthetic goes on sale every so often, like $3.49/qt. Synthetic for the price of dino. It is rebranded Synpower.

I usually like to get the cheapest synthetic on sale (like the Napa above, or the Havoline $20 special AAP had last month, etc)

Originally Posted By: SF0059
TGMO. Runs oh so sweet in the Ody. It helps me sleep at night since Honda's OLMs will go 7k miles plus.

Where ya finding that? I've looked around some....pricey!

PP, M1, Valv Syn-Power, QSUD are all good. I really want to try some TGMO and Mazda 0W20 high-moly goodness but they cost a pretty penny.

Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 is the easiest to find and cheapest per quart if you buy at Walmart. Toyota Genuine 0w20 is pretty sweet but you have to go to a Toyota dealer in most cases.

My 2013 CR-V has about 9600 miles on it now. I live about 30 miles North of Seattle. I'm a laid back driver with probably 90% of my trips in town.

Both my Camry Hybrid and the CR-V are running 5w-20 Chevron Supreme with Microguard filters.

They both recommend 0w-20 but I don't have any other vehicle that can use 5w-20 so I'm running what I have left in them.

I use HGMO 0w-20 and OEM filter so far in our CRV, with nice wear number results. If following MM light, it is fine choice. It's more expensive than many store bought options though so maybe not worth it.
I am one of the rare ones who actually likes my local dealer and I don't mind giving them business.

Mobil 1 0w20 or 5w20, easy to find and fairly cheap at Wally World. Or buy an oil change special at your favorite parts store. Good stuff at decent prices.

As others have said already, TGMO 0w20 would be my #1 option. It runs great in my Accord K24. Other OTC oils like M1 AFE, PP, even Synpower will take your engine very very far.

Pick one that meets the vehicles specs. Your car won't know the difference. Engines don't 'like' a particular oil.

2013 CRV new and after stressing way to much for nothing i first put the Mazda high moly in then the next change went with TGMO and will continue to use TGMO. when i first got it i went ahead and bought 6 Honda A01 filters online. supposedly they are "better" also bought 6 drain plug washers. supposedly they are a one time use washer but don't know how that circle of metal knows its been used and abused but i change it each time.

congrats on the 2014 if its anything like mine the little things will start to annoy you: like when the doors are open and you press the lock on the keyfob it wont do anything. when i press the lock button i want the doors to lock. or when you lock the windows with the switch you cant control the windows unless you unlock them all. the purpose of the lock should be to lock all other controls not the driver one. who'd bright idea was that.

enjoy. . . .

OP, I don't have a CRV but I just bought a 5qt. jug of Quaker State Ultimate Durability at Walmart for my 2014 vehicle for a little over $20 because QS has a $20 rebate available on their website. That and QSUD seems to be pretty highly regarded as a "sleeper" oil here, and based on this test it seems to be very similar to Pennzoil Platinum (they're both made by the same company): http://pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

Originally Posted By: riff1006
My last Honda, a 2011 Civic, I used PP 5w20 and purolators. It seemed pretty happy with that, but wanted to throw it out there and see what comes back. I'll do it by the numbers. I'm still on the FF but just thinking ahead.

1. What kind of vehicle you have
2014 CR-V

2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well
0w20

3. Where you live
SW Missouri
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
Pretty easy

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
12 mi each way to work and back, about 8 highway 4 city.

6. Whether your car has any known problems
None.

Kendall 0W20

http://www.petroleumservicecompany.com/1057222.html

Last edited:
Nice price on that Kendall!

Best deal is 2 cases at a time for some reason. 1 case or 3 cases or more and the shipping is not as good.

Originally Posted By: SF0059
TGMO. Runs oh so sweet in the Ody. It helps me sleep at night since Honda's OLMs will go 7k miles plus.

Where ya finding that? I've looked around some....pricey!

7.04/qt at my local dealer, and that is not the cheapest reported price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back