Oil question for a 2007, 217k mi Avalon

I just bought this car. Did not see any oil leaks (I had the car on a lift). Engine is specked for 5w30.

I know that any 5w30 will do, whether mineral or synthetic, just change the former sooner. That being said, since the car has 217k mi on the odometer is there a tangible benefit of using "high mileage" oil?

If yes, then, looking, for example, at Valvoline, there's:
  • semi-synthetic HM Maxlife 5w-30 75k
  • semi-synthetic HM Maxlife+ 5w-30 150k
  • full synthetic HM 5w-30
The semi-synthetic HM Maxlife+ 150k is the most expensive of the 3, yet, according to Valvoline marketing, full synthetic has the same leak protection as HM 150k. Kind of silly:
Screenshot_20211114-232411.png

If that 2GR-FE doesn't leak/burn any appreciable amount of oil, there's likely no "benefit" to using high mileage oil, but you certainly wouldn't hurt it by using it either (a few oil manufacturers say that you can use their high mileage oils even in new engines). I've been happy with the way ours runs on plain M1 5w30; I've never switched it to high mileage versions since it doesn't use/leak a drop even at about the same mileage as yours.

If that 2GR-FE doesn't leak/burn any appreciable amount of oil, there's likely no "benefit" to using high mileage oil, but you certainly wouldn't hurt it by using it either (a few oil manufacturers say that you can use their high mileage oils even in new engines). I've been happy with the way ours runs on plain M1 5w30; I've never switched it to high mileage versions since it doesn't use/leak a drop even at about the same mileage as yours.
Yes, that's the engine nomenclature. How many miles is on yours? Any oil consumption? If yes, how much over how many miles? Thanks

Yes, that's the engine nomenclature. How many miles is on yours? Any oil consumption? If yes, how much over how many miles? Thanks
Ours has 225k miles or so on it (after we picked up the 2017 Sienna, the 2010 was demoted to fourth vehicle status and gets driven fewer miles now), and uses no oil whatsoever (neither leaking or burning). It's always been right at the full mark at the end of its intervals. It's gotten mostly M1 5w30 at various intervals (always 5k or greater, up to 10k if that run involved lots of highway driving), but it's seen some other oils as well. It runs beautifully, honestly, very similar to it did when new (quiet, same MPG, that sort of thing).

@TmanP, thanks! That's good to know the engine will not be consuming oil by the design - as it should be the case. The seller filled it with Mobil 5w-30 before sale. I think I'll use SuperTech 5w-30 synthetic or Kirkland's variant of the same, since Toyota did not call for any stringent specs for this engine, other then API rating

Back