Oil pumps that suck through the dipstick tube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Good luck using that on hot (or cold) oil. LOL.

It works best on a cold engine on a hot summer day. I would not attempt to do it on a warmed up engine or in the winter.

Mercedes dealers use vacuum to extract the oil because:

1. The dipstick tube ends at the bottom of the oil pan, so vacuum will extract all the oil.

2. Don't need to remove and reinstall the splash gard

3. Cartridge oil filter is on top of the engine, it can be removed and replaced while the oil vacuum is working.

It saves time and don't have problem with stripping drain bolt.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Ive used a few. Have a cheapo 12V pump that seizes up despite being completely lubricated, when it sits too long. Junk.
Had a topsider, the pump went bad. Junk.

have heard great things about the SHURflo, which is a 12V pump on a 5 gal bucket, which is likely good but $$$$.

I have a LiquiVac, which is about $50 from Northern Tool, Tractor Supply, etc., and it has been by far the best. have had it for years.

I had Liquivac Topsider too, it worked for a couple times then it stopped working all together.

THe topsider I had was a large metal can with a pump on the one side. Labeled topsider.

33226_lg.jpg

The Liquivac is a different product, plastic casing, better location of the pump integrated in the handle, and more compact overall.

332260_lg.jpg

The liquivac in the bottom pic has lasted while the topsider in the top pic has not.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

It works best on a cold engine on a hot summer day. I would not attempt to do it on a warmed up engine or in the winter.

I heartily disagree. My MityVac works better on a just-driven engine than a cold one. And, in the winter, the residual engine heat keeps the oil flowing faster than it would be cold. The oil changes I've done on my Cruze have been shortly after driving it, and have worked out very well.

But that unit which was posted is all soft silicone or some rubber hose and the unit is likely to collapse on itself if used with hot oil. Even the HD nylon tubing that is in the units Ive posted and on the electric pumps gets very soft.

At the same time, nothing has enough suction to pull cold oil well, IMO. So Id agree that after being driven is key. Problem is that the equipment may not be up to the task...

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Ive used a few. Have a cheapo 12V pump that seizes up despite being completely lubricated, when it sits too long. Junk.
Had a topsider, the pump went bad. Junk.

have heard great things about the SHURflo, which is a 12V pump on a 5 gal bucket, which is likely good but $$$$.

I have a LiquiVac, which is about $50 from Northern Tool, Tractor Supply, etc., and it has been by far the best. have had it for years.

I had Liquivac Topsider too, it worked for a couple times then it stopped working all together.

THe topsider I had was a large metal can with a pump on the one side. Labeled topsider.

The Liquivac is a different product, plastic casing, better location of the pump integrated in the handle, and more compact overall.

The liquivac in the bottom pic has lasted while the topsider in the top pic has not.

My mistake, I should say Topsider not Liquivac Topsider.

Sometimes cheaper tools do not perform as well as others. Spending a little more up front may save you headache and money in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back