Oil Prices in Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple examples of what motor oil retails for in Germany. These are pics from a big box DIY store (Bauhaus) and gas station on the Autobahn. Expensive stuff.
The 4L of Liqui Moly 15w40 HDEO was the least expensive available.

60A18548-961A-45EF-9B8B-699985457637.jpeg

EEC8FEAE-3397-43E9-BEBB-4B9FB2090F1D.jpeg

F673EC91-7922-4E56-B378-8A269B6B4886.jpeg

3CFC7AC9-D3C7-4B74-B30F-19579FECEE2C.jpeg

369DB944-D089-4F9F-8E95-C723DF99C75A.jpeg

This is the motor oil selection at the Bauhaus. Mostly Liqui Moly and Castrol. Plus a large suite of Liqui Moly additives. Most everything >40€ 4Liters + VAT.

7203F55C-CB8D-4909-9738-D60BCB280E9B.jpeg

Very expensive indeed, that's why I always get a chuckle when Americans complain at the price of oil and feel the need to stretch out the OCI. Try paying these prices for a hair over a gallon not 5qts.

I just typed into google, a conversion. They said 79 euros was 85 USD. That can't be right, but according to Google, that is the cost of the first pic, Castrol Edge 5l jug.

Now to anyone who knows, is buying oil from that particular retailer more like buying it from Walmart or a local car parts store? In other words, is this a low or high price for oil in Germany?

Originally Posted by paulri
I just typed into google, a conversion. They said 79 euros was 85 USD. That can't be right,

That is right.

Now to anyone who knows, is buying oil from that particular retailer more like buying it from Walmart or a local car parts store? In other words, is this a low or high price for oil in Germany?
Bauhaus is kind of like a Home Depot store. You can probably find oil for less at other stores, but in general, it'll still be significantly more expensive than in US.

Originally Posted by Kira
The red stepped things at the right of the picture are what?

Collapsible funnels.

Originally Posted by Kira
The red stepped things at the right of the picture are what?

Are those red thingies collapsible oil-pour spouts?

If my guess is correct, EU gets all the cool patents these days.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
Oil is much cheaper online in Europe.
I many times order my oil and coolant from Amazon, as it's much cheaper.

Yup. You can get two 5L jugs of that Castrol Edge 5W-40 turbo diesel on Amazon DE for 75 Euro, so that's half the price of Bauhaus. That's about $40 per jug.

Don't forget that In Europe, Synthetic is real Synthetic, not the Group III "Synthetic " that we have here.

Years ago, I considered buying Motul in France and bringing it back. Visited Carefour (like Walmart). Price was double what it cost here. Needless to say o did not buy.

Twenty five years ago, asked my brother-in-Law in France how much it cost to change the oil in his BMW 316i. Came out to over $100 , and that was 25 years ago.

Europeans don't change ad often as we do. Their Synthetic is better than ours.
My lease cars said to change oil every 30,000 km. That's 18.750 miles for those of you who can't think Metric.

I always lease, not rent, for between three and seven weeks. Usually a Renault from
www.renaultusa.com but once from Peugeot.

As a 30 year global traveler … these Europe comments are not accurate as edyvw just pointed out.

Even Germany sells SHC products … they just have to be identified as what they are.

Not sure why someone has to haul oil … you can buy Redline and others here if it makes you feel better

Originally Posted by ctrcbob
Don't forget that In Europe, Synthetic is real Synthetic, not the Group III "Synthetic " that we have here.
You're going off very outdated info.

The €80 Castrol Edge in the first photo is group III. It says so right on the front label (HC-Synthese). It still meets all the stringent major Euro mfg long life specs, just like any other synthetic. But people hang onto the "group IV is real synthetic" mantra as if it mattered when it comes to actual performance.

DIY Stores and Gas stations have the highest prices for engine oil here.
Usually you can get it cheaper in car parts stores or our big supermarkets, the bigger ones caryy Liqui Moly much cheaper.
And of course you could buy it online at very low prices, but we discoverd a few times counterfeit oil here.

Personally, i buy the oil for my vehicles at my local car parts store, they carry Shell, Motul and Eurolub. Cheaper than the DIY store, not so cheap as Online. But with frindley people at the counter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back