Oil pressure specs? Mitsubishi G54B/2.6L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, this is my first post, almost a year lurking and learning but never registered until now. The car with the engine is a 1984 Dodge Caravan, the Chrysler Factory Service Manual (FSM) shows in the oil pump section a "4 psi @ idle" to be good, in the engine lubrication specs shows ""40 to 60 psi" to be right, no RPM. For what I have been able to find in the web, Mitsubishi requires 78psi @ 3K RPM for a 1983 engine to be healthy, the engines were the same from that year onwards regarding lubrication and clearances turbos and NA until the end of production. Does any of you have the specs. for a 1984 NA engine? and Which specs. should I follow the one from the engine maker or the ones from the car manufacturer and if the latter at what RPM max pressure?. Many thanks in advance
George.

A vintage Chilton manual shows 85 psi @2500 rpm.I think thats a misprint because it says 1983 is 58@2500rpm.

I'm thinking the 4 psi may be the oil pressure sender threshold before it trips the oil light???

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I'm thinking the 4 psi may be the oil pressure sender threshold before it trips the oil light???

Thanks, no, it does refer to the oil pressure when hot at idle, the sender/switch for the light is also set to between 4 and 6 psi. I guess it makes sense to warn you when the oil pressure has reach a point when it doesn't protect the engine.
George.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
A vintage Chilton manual shows 85 psi @2500 rpm.I think thats a misprint because it says 1983 is 58@2500rpm.

I do also have a Chilton Total Car Care manual for the car, to me is somewhat worthless, I have found so many errors in many of those books that I can't trust them, from timing mistakes to torque sequences but they do have pictures and images that are not in the FSMs that give you a different insight of the issue, another positive point is since they usually cover many years you can sometimes discover that in another model year there is something you could use to improve an area where you are having problems.
George.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back