Oil Pressure sensor socket for 2001 Firebird 3.8 3800 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to replace the oil pressure sensor at the next oil change. Unlike most jobs on the 4th gen F-Body, replacing the oil pressure sensor should be very easy, as it's right in front of the engine by the oil filter.

The oil pressure sensor has a rounded nut. After some googling, it appears many oil pressure sensor nuts are actually round rather than a regular nut, but I could never find out why
crazy2.gif

What socket should I get? Or do I even need the special socket? Can you use a regular socket, wrench, or open-end?

I'm asking because the Lisle #13250 has some bad reviews saying the socket is poorly manufactured. Excessive burrs and at least one complete failure of the square drive. Sad to see cheaply made tools sold under the Lisle name. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind spending the $7 on it (the sensor was only $10, and I got an OEM sensor, ACDelco GM Original Equipment D1806A, made in Mexico)

The one in my 89 firebird 2.8 was stupid easy. That Lisle description says they changed them in 1991 though.

By "easy", it threaded out like it was put in yesterday with about 8 ft lbs. I think there's an o-ring so you can crack it loose then put it back and wait for your part, if you want to try that.

Good call on the OE sensor-- I got a Wells, which is notorious for reading low, and it did.

I have 3 GM vehicles with the 3.8 V6 AKA 3800; although mine are Lesabres. My oil pressure sensor is ACDelco part # 12677837. I simply use a 27mm socket. I remember buying the sensor, then taking the sensor with me to find a standard socket to fit. Reasonable bet your wrench flats are the same dimension.

If you can get a good grip on it, I'd try vise grips to remove it, and the new one doesn't need to be gorilla tight; you could probably get it tight enough with a leather gloved hand...

Originally Posted by mattd
1 1/16" deep socket works

1 1/16" = 26.9875 mm so I might be off by 0.0125 mm....that's a little more than a hundredth of a millimeter Still say 27mm would work just fine.

If it fits over the sensor.....I don't think I own a regular 1 1/16" that will fit over the long bodied GM sensors.

My deep Snap-on pressure switch socket (middle) fits those perfect, My old USA made Lisle (right) barely fits them & you got to be careful or you'll break the sensor because of the tight ft around the plastic body.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by Ihatetochangeoil
I have 3 GM vehicles with the 3.8 V6 AKA 3800; although mine are Lesabres. My oil pressure sensor is ACDelco part # 12677837. I simply use a 27mm socket. I remember buying the sensor, then taking the sensor with me to find a standard socket to fit. Reasonable bet your wrench flats are the same dimension.

If you can get a good grip on it, I'd try vise grips to remove it, and the new one doesn't need to be gorilla tight; you could probably get it tight enough with a leather gloved hand...

I looked under the hood, and both the oil pressure sensor and the coolant temperature sensor are both not fully screwed on. That is, there is still some threads showing for both sensors.
crazy2.gif

They seem to be the original sensors. Both of the new sensors have something on the threads (white stuff on the oil pressure sensor, red stuff on the ECT sensor).

Now my question is, when replacing them, should I tighten them fully? So that the threads are completely screwed in and the nuts are flush with the surface?

No. They are tapered pipe threads. Do not have to be all the way in to get tight and seal.

I hope you're not replacing these sensors for no reason? Some of those original Delco sensors were "Top Quality" so to speak, Delphi replacements & even some Delphi OEM stuff on later vehicles didn't last as long.

Originally Posted by clinebarger

If it fits over the sensor.....I don't think I own a regular 1 1/16" that will fit over the long bodied GM sensors.

My deep Snap-on pressure switch socket (middle) fits those perfect, My old USA made Lisle (right) barely fits them & you got to be careful or you'll break the sensor because of the tight ft around the plastic body.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You are correct it has to be cut deep into the socket not a shallow cut socket. Most snap on sockets are shallow cut

Originally Posted by clinebarger
I hope you're not replacing these sensors for no reason? Some of those original Delco sensors were "Top Quality" so to speak, Delphi replacements & even some Delphi OEM stuff on later vehicles didn't last as long.

correct, I am not replacing them for no reason
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back