Oil pressure sending unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone had their oil pressure gauge to begin to read lower pressure, as the engine gets more miles on it? Mine reads lower than it used to at 50 to 70 mph cruising speeds. When the engine is cold, the gauge will read higher pressure until it reaches operating temperature. The pressure gauge used to stay right about 2/3 the way over at 1700 or 1800 rpm, now it's just over halfway on the gauge at that speed/RPM. I just wonder if the sending unit is getting worn out and not reading like it used to. It's a 2001 Dodge Dakota with the 3.9 V6, 109,000 miles on it. The engine is in good shape with no oil leaks or abnormal valvetrain noises to indicate something is wrong internally. I always use 10W30 oil. I appreciate any help you can offer.

Mine on my old Z31 turbo always sat at zero and never moved. Seems they are notrious for biting the dust.

Oil pressure sending-units seem to be prone to failure. I've replaced three on my personal vehicles in the last 10yrs. In two cases, got a false low reading. In the other case, it was leaking. BTW, the two with low readings were both Chryslers. (92Dynasty and 99Cirrus)

It was even more erratic today coming to work. It read very high until the engine warmed up then it went low at a stop then up again, but not as far on the scale of the gauge. It used to be much more precise. A new sending unit is only $30.00 so it won't cost much to find out. I could get a manual oil pressure gauge to test it, but I really think this has to be the sending unit. My truck won't run with the oil pressure sensor unplugged anyway. My truck runs fine and has no oil leaks or obvious signs of engine trouble. Thanks for the help.

Jimmy

Sure, they puke.
Also, factory gauges are not that precise to begin with.
I don't like to throw parts at it, but the part should not be that much $.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back