Oil Pan Drain Valve Q?'s

My son has offered to buy an oil pan drain valve for my trucks oil pan.
The most popular valve out there is the FUMOTO brand. The EZ brand is right up there as well.
I know there are members here that have one installed on their oil pan. How do you like it over a regular drain plug? And, those that don't like them, I would like to hear your opinions as well.
Thank You.
smile.gif

I have one on my Ram diesel truck, I like it so it controls the flow rather than splashing out everywhere. I do put a zip-tye on it though so the valve lever doesn't get turned inadvertently or even maliciously by anyone. I no more messy changes when three gallons comes flying out hot.

Last edited:
If I was changing oil all the time, I would love a quick drain valve like this. But I change oil slightly more than twice a year so I'm fine with a regular drain plug, and it doesn't splash all over the place... maybe just me? Lots of people love them but I prefer the original equipment, to each their own
laugh.gif

My son owns an 04 Lariat (new body style) and has a FUMOTO on his oil pan. He does his own oil changes at the Ford dealership he works at. He just recently changed the oil in my truck and I'm thinking that's why he wants to buy one for my trucks oil pan. If he ever has to change my oil again he wants it to be as easy as possible. That, and/or he's being a great son.
smile.gif

Well, I had a Fomoto shipped to me and I traded the vehicle before I used it. On Sunday a week back … was doing the first dump and filter for the Z71. I could not get the aftermarket drain to seal … and stripped it.
(cheap Spectre brand).
I now have the valve on the 6L80e pan … probably should fabricate a skid pan over it or remove it soon.

If he is changing it for you, and want to buy it for you,
I would take up his offer.

IMO, you don't need to have others opinion.
Most of us have it for ease of oil change assuming you have to change it yourself.

It is a slower drain, though. Not sure if the new model is faster draining.

Originally Posted by JMJNet
It is a slower drain, though. Not sure if the new model is faster draining.

Yes, to an extent. When I had mine on my Forester, I noted there wasn't a huge difference in drain time with pulling the drain plug vs. Fumoto if I:
1. had the engine at operating temperature and drained right after shutoff instead of cold, and,
2. Opened the fill cap to make sure the oil wasn't glug-glugging while draining.

Not sure if it made a measurable difference on a stopwatch, but it made me feel good.
smile.gif

ValvoMax Oil Drain Valve is the one I have. I like the screw on cap for it and the drain attachment..

I have them installed on my vehicles. I like them except for the fact the oil takes a long time to drain. Although it forces me to do other things on the vehicle while I wait for it to drain.

Best thing to do is try it. On mine I doubled up the gasket, used the blue gasket along with a metal crush washer.

Never wanted or needed them. They don't eliminate the need to get under the vehicle and like was stated earlier takes longer for the oil to drain.

I installed one on my 2011 kia Optima after the third oil change. The guy who designed the engine and undercarriage cover obviously never changed oil before. It seemed no matter what I rigged up oil was splashing all over. It has never leaked or had other issues. When I get a 2021 Optima, I will use one as well. I don't have one on my Civic because the drain is easy and clean. I just wish Honda had put the oil filter on the bottom instead of the side of the engine.

Been using them on every vehicle I service since the mid 1990s. Built like a tank and so much easier than a plug. Longest one being used on a current vehicle is a 2006 Altima, been on this car since 2009. Don't be misled by those that say it may not drain all the oil, or the flow is slightly slower than a plug or that it can break off if it hits something ( I ran one over a concrete median and it removed some of the brass but the valve kept on working for years after that). You can also strip a plug, plugs can leak, plugs can not be tightened enough and leak or fall out etc.

I bought 6 of them and after installing I didn't like the way they hung down. I sold most of them here on bitog.

And on my cars, I got more oil out when I used a regular drain plug.

They were not for me.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Never wanted or needed them. They don't eliminate the need to get under the vehicle and like was stated earlier takes longer for the oil to drain.

Yes, you still need to get under the car... Had one. Got the one with the nipple, so that I attached a plastic hose to it and have it drain into my jug of used oil, to minimize the mess.

A vacuum pump to suck the oil through the dipstick may eliminate the need to get under the car, it depends on where the oil filter is located.

I change the oil on four vehicles.
Two have not had the Fumoto installed because of the angle at which it would stick out . They are not my own vehicles [ son and daughters Toyota's] so I don't want to chance it. My two have a parallel to the ground orientation. So no worries of knocking it off.
I much prefer the OC on the Fumoto equipped cars even at eight times a year. No hot oil bath
The Fumoto on my truck has been in use since '09 and 140k with no issues. The one on the Subbie has a hose attached to guide the oil through the access hole.
I once removed the Fumoto when I was trading in a truck and just a few ounces of oil dripped out.

To BlueOvalFitter and everyone else:
I'd heard about these things for a long time.
1) "They" don't leak like they used to in the '70's
2) There's not a lot of "left-over" oil....much like the oil left in filters used over 2 or 3 OCI's.

I put one on a 2010 Honda which had had it's pan stripped by a "quick lube" place.
It works fine.

Look to see if anything would become a strike hazard.
After doing so I put one on my "new" Ranger (a 2005).

They don't lengthen the drain time appreciably. Warm-to-hot oil drains fast enough.
The stream is more manageable due to it's smaller cross section or via the ones which are fitted with hose nipples.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
A vacuum pump to suck the oil through the dipstick may eliminate the need to get under the car, it depends on where the oil filter is located.

I had a car that allowed it; it was great. Plug was never removed in over 300k. The vehicles that had a filter underneath, I didn't like going back to the old way of things but since I had to, I did.

For me, it is not worth the cost. It may only be a few bucks to install one, but I don't see the gain. For me. Maybe if I got a vehicle and it drained onto a crossmember, then I'd think about changing, especially if I was frequently changing oil.

I'm still on the fence over installing a valve of some type on my newer Honda. What's keeping me from doing it is the prospect of a dealership oil change that may occur and the problems that will arise.

Back