Oil Light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cutting a filter open at home is something to do before paying bucks to drop the pan. If your oil pump pick up is getting clogged witch it could be, you should have some junk in the filter.

I just pulled the pan on my Dad's sludged up engine and the pick up was pretty sludged up, as was the filter. So pulling the pan is not a bad idea unless it's not needed. Worst case scenario you have a brand new oil pan gasket........
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Well, it seems to happen now when there is about 1000 miles on the oil, for one reason or another...very strange. I had the oil changed today, and will see if it returns again. I asked my mechanic about dropping the pan, he said its not necessary, b/c hte car has been well maintained.

Originally Posted By: parimento1
Well, it seems to happen now when there is about 1000 miles on the oil, for one reason or another...very strange. I had the oil changed today, and will see if it returns again. I asked my mechanic about dropping the pan, he said its not necessary, b/c hte car has been well maintained.

Well if you want put your engines life in his hands that's fine......That's an assumption. I have been a mechanic in shops before myself. Just because you are a mechanic does not mean you know for sure what is going on in any given engine.
I would cut a filter open to be sure but if what your mechanic says makes you feel warm and fuzzy that's fine to....

Did he give you a reason why the light is a problem since he said your engine is well maintained?

Yea, I'm not sure, he said the oil light is prob because the engine is a bit worn. However, just to update, after changing the oil, no more oil light at startup for the time being. I will keep an eye on it and cut the filter at the next oil change. Do I need a hacksaw to do this?

You can use a hacksaw, or a sharp screwdriver and needle nosed pliers used to peel off bits of metal most of the way around, or a special oil filter opening tool.

If you don't have a vise it will be hard to hold the filter while you cut it open.

I poke a nail in the end of the filter and poke a hole in the rubber ADBV. This will let the oil drain out of the filters closed end through the nail hole. Let it drain for awhile. I then hacksaw it around the open end about 3/8 inch below the seam.

You don't need to go all the way around. I go most of the way and grab a channel lock and bend the open end up like a can of soup that does not get cut open all the way.

Once you get to that point the guts are ready to pull out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back