Oil leak - what oil to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was never a fan of high mileage oils but wanted to tell you that I have a 2001 Civic with 180,000 miles that started dripping everynight and getting worse. After 2 oil changes with Valvoline Maxlife 5w30 it completely stopped. Still continue using the stuff and 3 years have went by.....still no drips, no oil usage. Im a believer and recommend giving it a try.

Yes, timing belt was replaced And no indication of any leaks were found in that area I guess

Originally Posted by mrjlube
I was never a fan of high mileage oils but wanted to tell you that I have a 2001 Civic with 180,000 miles that started dripping everynight and getting worse. After 2 oil changes with Valvoline Maxlife 5w30 it completely stopped. Still continue using the stuff and 3 years have went by.....still no drips, no oil usage. Im a believer and recommend giving it a try.

That's great news! You are quite the Drip Doctor
10.gif

Originally Posted by dosmom
Would it be beneficial to use a -40 for a little thicker oil or is that not wise?

Buy the 10w30 High Mileage from Wally World. Allow two OCIs - then decide if 40W is necessary.

Had a chance to take the van to my new mechanic. He said there was oil on two bolts near the oil pan and also from the rear main seal area. He could not definitively tell which is causing the leak. I had the oil pump replaced a few years ago but the leak was there before, so kind of leaning towards the seal. He said to try the HM oil but suggested only the conventional and not synthetic. He said I could try a leak stop product also if I wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back