Oil leak - what oil to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 Odyssey that has had a small oil leak for a few years. My mechanic said the leak is deep in a tough spot and would be very expensive to fix. So he said to keep an eye on it and top it off when needed.

That has certainly worked. Lately it seems to be getting a little worse but it ebb and flow at times. The engine calls for 5w 30. We are making an 8 hour trip to Atlanta soon. It is warm where we live but a bit cold in Atlanta. What weight oil should I use now? Should I go a little thicker? Would you normally go thicker in cold weather? Also, if I change to high mileage could that make the leak worse since it is thinner and such? Thanks

If it's a 2008 you might want to look into high mileage oil. They supposedly have ingredients that help restore seals and help stop leaks. I'm going to try it in my 1991 Ford the next time I change the oil. I have a rear main that leaks slightly. (More in the hot weather than the cold).

Is it a myth that high mileage can make it worse? What weight would be recommended for my trip?

Can you provide more information on the location of the leak? It is hard to predict any effects of HM or thicker oil without more info.

HM oil might help if a seal is leaking due to being hardened but otherwise probably won't help much. It certainly would not hurt to try.

Originally Posted by dosmom
Is it a myth that high mileage can make it worse? What weight would be recommended for my trip?

Some people say that switching from HM to regular will cause leaks. I have switched back and forth on both my cars and never had any problems.

I would use 5W30 HM and see what happens; I have used Pennzoil Platinum HM and Maxlife, and both were good. As I mentioned above, HM will only help for some conditions.

Last edited:
To be honest I am not sure. My mechanic had trouble pinpointing the leak. I am thinking it is not a seal. I trust him but this was a while ago so I don't remember the entire discussion. He commented that it would be a big job.

Oil pan leaks are common on these, it is an RTV seal so do not use HM oil or additives, it has zero positive effects on RTV and may cause it to leak worse.

Do you recommend 5w 30 for driving from 80 degree temps to a low temp of 40 degrees? Or should I go a little thicker? We will only be in Atlanta a few days but want the right oil for the temp differences but also what might help reduce the oil leaking

If it's a gasket leak no oil will fix that. If it's a seal ther is (some) hope. I would recommend Mobil1 HM 10w30. It's a thicker w30 that will work fine down to 0 degrees F. I run it year round in my F150 and, unexpectedly, found it eliminated a rear main seal seep. I haven't tried other oil brands so I cannot comment on them.

I'm thinking it is not a seal. I just had one fixed , I think the front. This was a different mechanic but he made no mention of the rear being bad

I'm thinking it is not a seal. I just had one fixed , I think the front. This was a different mechanic but he made no mention of the rear being bad

Go to Walmart - buy Supertech High Mileage oil in 5w30 and change 4-5k regularly. Give it 2-3 OCIs to notice improvement.

Saw some good reviews on the supertech. I know you said 5w 30 but any opposition to 10w 30 to add some thickness? Supertech is conventioal oil, right?

Saw some good reviews on the supertech. I know you said 5w 30 but any opposition to 10w 30 to add some thickness? Supertech is conventioal oil, right?

I see you are deep South location. 10W30 would be fine. I'm optimistic that you will have improved results.

Thanks. I am driving to Atlanta this month and temos are around 40 degrees overnight. Is 10w still ok?

If you have small leak then high mileage oil is what you want, it's not going to make it worse. And a 5W-30 is not necessarily thicker than a 10W-30 oil, you have to go to a -40 oil to ensure that. Give it a try and see if anything improves. Try a 0W-40 from Walmart such as Castrol or Mobil 1. They are excellent oils.

Thanks. I am driving to Atlanta this month and temos are around 40 degrees overnight. Is 10w still ok?

Yes - yes - Yes.

I once used 10W40 for years here in cold-butt Michigan. My bro-in-law in cold-butt Michigan uses Delvac 15w40 in his Chevy pickup.
Your butt wont get that cold driving to and in Atlanta....lol

Last edited:
As had already been said, a 10W oil is fine down to 0F. At 40F nearly every oil on the market is going to be virtually the same viscosity.

You will not encounter any temps in Atlanta that a 5/30 or 10/30 won't be fine for. I personally would run 5/30 M1 EP HM for but I'd try to buy it on rebate/rollback...

If this thing has VCM, you need good quality oil.

This is a J35 with a timing belt right (I'm not up on my Minivan variations)? When was the last time that was done? If it is the front seal they should be right there at it the next time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back