Oil Grade Sensitivity

When people get on here and act oblivious to the CAFE mandates, whether it be out of simple ignorance or willful ignorance, I don't have any problem pointing out when and where CAFE is at work.

That in no way equates to CAFE "being in my head".

Bad fail. Try again.
You mad bro? Lol. Imagine engines running for 20 years on Xw20 with no ill effects and better MPG...oh wait, they have!

It’s all about CAFE. The fuel savings add up for the manufacturers but the driver will not notice any savings ( my experience anyways ).

I used to think ( last holdout of viscosity ignorance ) the only time you had to be careful with no not using the recommended oil viscosity was with engines using VVT , apparently not. I have over 300k on my car ( 0w30 ) , would it have made it using 0w20, sure it would. I just hope I will never have to add any oil as the engine ages, that’s why I use it ( so far, no oil too ups , never, even at that mileage and 12,000 OCI ).

Last edited:
Doesn't matter if an engine calls for 0w20, or 10w30, my dad uses 5w30 in everything. We have never had any engine blow up, or wear out to the point it ran terrible. Some people use 5 weights of oil in their shop for gas engines alone. Here, diesels all get 10w40, gas 5w30, with the exception of some motorcycles that get 10w40 diesel spec oil. People have been telling my dad for 15 years that he is ruining the Honda outboards on our boat by using 5w30 oil. We use our boat a lot, and still both 150 hp, and the 10 hp fishing engine run perfectly after all these years. Maybe in another 10 years people will believe that the 5w30 isn't destroying our outboards.

It’s all about CAFE. The fuel savings add up for the manufacturers but the driver will not notice any savings ( my experience anyways ).

I used to think ( last holdout of viscosity ignorance ) the only time you had to be careful with no not using the recommended oil viscosity was with engines using VVT , apparently not. I have over 300k on my car ( 0w30 ) , would it have made it using 0w20, sure it would. I just hope I will never have to add any oil as the engine ages, that’s why I use it ( so far, no oil too ups , never, even at that mileage and 12,000 OCI ).
Heck, the VVT works the same in my Hyundai whether I use a 20 or 40 viscosity. The same engine in europe or australia specs everything from 5w30 to 20w50 depending on temps. Surprise surprise 5w20 is not even recommended across the pond.

That's disingenuous. Who, exactly, is saying "20 BAD here???" Pretty much no one.

Thin oils are CAFE inspired and mandated. Period. No one can dispute that. Thin oils are not for maximum protection or longevity, they are about incremental fuel economy gains.

Don't make the straw man argument that "so you saying my car will blow up on 20wt???" That's so tired and wrong. No one is saying that. Why can't the thin oil advocates just get it right? Dang.
You make my point … endless drama over nothing
19A55746-1D22-493D-AD59-71DB3D8845A3.gif

Last edited:
You said it was pinging:
Pinging (spark knock) is caused by either too much ignition timing or too low of octane, neither of which is impacted by your selection of oil. That was my point. Perhaps use a term that doesn't have a proper formal meaning next time if you are just attempting to be descriptive and not noting the occurrence of a specific event or phenomena.
Maybe is was getting so much oil past the rings it was like an LSPI event going on.

Back