Oil Grade Sensitivity

I can find nowhere in the manual about using a different viscosity than 0/20 for our '19 Corolla.....other than "5/20 may be used but must be replaced at next oil change". Not a word about anything heavier under any conditions.......unless I'm missing something.

I can find nowhere in the manual about using a different viscosity than 0/20 for our '19 Corolla.....other than "5/20 may be used but must be replaced at next oil change". Not a word about anything heavier under any conditions.......unless I'm missing something.

You have to look up the Australian manual or the Congo manual for that wording.

I just always use what’s recommended that’s what I was taught to do and that’s what I follow. We also learned in school using something with the wrong viscosity not winter rating might be too thick for the oil ports in the vehicles especially the modern ones.

Last edited:

My Passat manual either. It states...

"Your engine was factory-filled with an all-season engine oil that meets strict Volkswagen oil quality standards and has a viscosity grade of SAE 0W-20. You can use this oil for normal driving in all temperatures."

The vague statement that "a higher viscosity may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions" (even though they warn elsewhere of supposedly dire consequences of modest overloading) is in my 2011 Prius manual. Other people have posted about it being various newer Toyota manuals, I believe.

I just always use what’s recommended that’s what I was taught to do and that’s what I follow.

:D

Uncle Fester-Think Outside the Box.jpg

There's Border Patrol vehicles that have >400k miles on them with 5w-20, at 20-25k mile intervals, and some of them idle for as much as 10 hours a day in the >100*F heat.

Lets see those border patrol vehicles deal with 10-20 cold-lukewarm restarts.... aka soccer mom bus'ng those kiddies around along that 'northern' border. That is the real test, you know, all that freezing cold weather/snow/slush from that southern border climate is such an engine restart killer:rolleyes:

Can't stand when someone mentions what a 'fleet' can get away with, like taxi gov't or magazine tester....
Vehicles with 400k miles means nothing if the engine is replaced 5x in those 400k miles hint hint. Seen it too often in gov't fleet vehicles and many GSA auctions where the drivetrain is toast below 100k miles. But, certain conditions are amazing with what some vehicles tolerate. Too bad those are too far and few in between the failures.

Lets see those border patrol vehicles deal with 10-20 cold-lukewarm restarts.... aka soccer mom bus'ng those kiddies around along that 'northern' border. That is the real test, you know, all that freezing cold weather/snow/slush from that southern border climate is such an engine restart killer:rolleyes:

Can't stand when someone mentions what a 'fleet' can get away with, like taxi gov't or magazine tester....
Vehicles with 400k miles means nothing if the engine is replaced 5x in those 400k miles hint hint. Seen it too often in gov't fleet vehicles and many GSA auctions where the drivetrain is toast below 100k miles. But, certain conditions are amazing with what some vehicles tolerate. Too bad those are too far and few in between the failures.

My cousin is a GS-14 with the Border Patrol in Arizona. I can assure you those engines have not been replaced.

Back