Oil gelling.

Im trying to diagnose an oil gelling problem I encountered at work the other day. We have a few single output gearboxes on our industrial ovens(low rpm). The fluid levels are maintained by the department that runs them and I recently noticed they had started seeping a goop out of the seals. Upon further inspection the entire oil well had turned into a peanut butter/jello texture. I noticed a bucket of hydraulic fluid near by that isn't usually there and we have some new guys so I'm wondering if it's possible that it was used to fill the gearbox and caused the oils to gel. We also recently switched to a different brand oil but same wight, Mobil 85w-140, and I wonder if that could be the issue as well. Anyone had hydraulic and gear oil mix and cause this? I've been working on these ovens for 10 years and have never seen this. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

IMG_20200719_085958.jpg

I would PM "High Performance Lubricants" and have a conversation with Dave. Industrial is one of their specialties. HPL is very good at what they do.

OK

First, what oil did you change from?

Second, did you do a complete flush prior to changing?

Third, are these worm drives?

I presume these are door and conveyor boxes?

Need to pull a sample and send off obviously

Cant say from the picture ( more might help especially a blotter one and maybe a sample in a test tube with a light shining through it)

but it appears you "might' have the wrong oil now for that service ( seen tarring like this before but some things need to be checked)

Back