Oil for valve core

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would be a good oil for loosening up one? Shop could not remove, and rather than buy a sensor we are going to see if it leaks first. So this oil might be in the stem, and blown into the tire, for a while.

Armor all?
laugh.gif

Penetrating oil, and screw the cap back on for a day. Oil won't get in the tire, the threads are above the seat. Only a little torque to remove or it will break, and you will be buying a sensor. Otherwise forget it and leave it alone. If the tire needs to be deflated just hold the pin in or use a tool that screws over the stem to deflate.

The plan at the moment is, if it holds air, then leave it be. Since I finally got my LTX's it could be a while... If it leaks it might be nice to attempt to save the sensor. Otherwise it's $100 at the shop for their sensor. Ick, but I think they wouldn't charge for mnt/bal.

I'm not sure what kind of rubber is inside the tire, so the answer well may be, don't do anything, just replace it if it gives grief.

Just wasn't sure if there was a known cure.

I've used tri-flow on many a gummy or stuck bicycle tube's Schrader valve. Could it hurt the rubber, sure I guess, but you really aren't going to apply that much.

I'm thoroughly confused by the question.

First, the valve core is made of brass and plastic.

Yes, they sometimes stick, but a valve core tool is enough to unstick them. Besides the only time this is a problem is if the valve is being reused - something hardly anyone does. It is usually replaced.

But if you are talking about a valve core leaking - those sealing parts are made of plastic and while they can get damaged by dirt and not seal, lubing them doesn't do anything of value.

So I'm confused. What is the problem again? The shop couldn't remove the core?

I'm thinking they were afraid they might break the valve and have to replace it free of charge - and (I'm guessing here), since the TPMS sensor is part of the valve assembly, that would be expensive.

I vote for not worrying about it. If the valve itself works, and it doesn't need to be taken out, there isn't a problem. I would be very careful putting anything in the valve core as it might dissolve the plastic parts.

Oh and that "valve lube"? I think that is assembly lube for ENGINE valves. Not tire valves.

Last edited:
Toyota TPMS is a metal stem, with a metal retainer nut. Shop has newer ones which have rubber stems.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I would say silicone based only - no petroleum distillates.

Or Maybe this:

Sexauer stem lube:
Sexauer is a great source for plumbing parts and supplies. You really want a plumber working on your tires??? The valve stem lube is for water valves.
KT211WUL.jpg

This little tire valve core tool is handy and cheap. One end is a wrench to remove the core, and the other end is an easy way to hold the core depressed to let the air out with the core in place.
mTGwrqT4c6KbqHBhQMqMV_w.jpg

There is a torque wrench for those TPMS valve stems, that actually torques the valve stem properly so that it will come out in the future. If the shop didn't use it, AND you kept the proper TPMS specific valve stem caps on, they need to take that stem out and deal with whatever happens.

A new stem+torque tool+caps staying on at all times and it will come out. Most often, the caps are left off by someone and corrosion makes those impossible to remove. I'd have no fear in using some WD-40 on it i doubt it will do much. It either breaks or breaks loose and comes out. It won't leak as is. Replacing the sensor does not involve fully dismounting the tire, so paying for balance and mounting is a scam. When i used to run a tire shop, anyone that had to buy one of those $$$ sensors, we only charged the part price and considered that enough pain for the customer.

So glad i don't have any vehicles with those type of stems!

I'd get some nylog red. Used in HVAC where vacuum/pressure tight a grader valve cores are critical. Never dries or cakes, and helps keep a seal.

It is possible on some TPMS models to replace just the metal valve components (including metal valve stem, grommet, nut, core and cap) saving the cost of a new sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back