Slime cheapened their thru-core sealant

I used this slime Thru-Core on a tire that isn't holding air, and I noticed that the stuff that came out of the can is white, rather than green like slime usually is :unsure:

This one doesn't require removing the valve core on the tire, and it doesn't require a hose, either. It screws on to the valve stem, and you unscrew it when the can is empty. Unfortunately, the liquid that came out resembles Fix-A-Flat, and it might not even work. Therefore, this could indicate they have cheapened the product :sneaky:

I put some in a cup in the freezer a few hours ago, and it is starting to freeze. Those who have watched the Project Farm video know that Fix-A-Flat froze, while the others didn't, including the green slime. I suspect it will have frozen completely overnight.

Now, none of this actually means it's just re-canned Fix-A-Flat, even if it freezes and doesn't hold air, but it could be likely, and even if there is no business relationship between the two, it's still a rotten thing to do cheapening the product.

So in summary, DO NOT buy the can that looks like this:

60186_14oz_thrucore_sealant.jpg

So if you're going to use slime, stick to the plastic bottle with green liquid.

Update: I took the sample out of the freezer, and it is frozen solid 🥶

Next time I'll use the green stuff. My mistake. I honestly thought the canned formula would've been closer to that bottle, but oh well, lesson learned.

Whatever tire shop you use to actually fix the problem correctly will likely charge you more $ now. That crap is horrible to clean out of a tire (if the tire is repairable) and no fun to clean off the rim either. At the very least, if the tech is just replacing the tire with a new one, he’ll be pissed at the mess it makes all over the equipment and floor.

Whatever tire shop you use to actually fix the problem correctly will likely charge you more $ now. That crap is horrible to clean out of a tire (if the tire is repairable) and no fun to clean off the rim either. At the very least, if the tech is just replacing the tire with a new one, he’ll be pissed at the mess it makes all over the equipment and floor.
The tire repair shop should be told BEFORE doing any work that Slime is in the tire.

UPDATE:
I used the slime, and it is still working :D

The tire still holds air, and I haven't had to add more air to the tire :)

However, if I ever need to use slime again, I'll use the green stuff in the bottle.

Good to know, that thru-core stuff the exact stuff I keep in my trunk (along with a patch and plug kit.) I'll take it out of my trunk.

I used this slime Thru-Core on a tire that isn't holding air, and I noticed that the stuff that came out of the can is white, rather than green like slime usually is :unsure:

This one doesn't require removing the valve core on the tire, and it doesn't require a hose, either. It screws on to the valve stem, and you unscrew it when the can is empty. Unfortunately, the liquid that came out resembles Fix-A-Flat, and it might not even work. Therefore, this could indicate they have cheapened the product :sneaky:

I put some in a cup in the freezer a few hours ago, and it is starting to freeze. Those who have watched the Project Farm video know that Fix-A-Flat froze, while the others didn't, including the green slime. I suspect it will have frozen completely overnight.

Now, none of this actually means it's just re-canned Fix-A-Flat, even if it freezes and doesn't hold air, but it could be likely, and even if there is no business relationship between the two, it's still a rotten thing to do cheapening the product.

So in summary, DO NOT buy the can that looks like this:

60186_14oz_thrucore_sealant.jpg

So if you're going to use slime, stick to the plastic bottle with green liquid.
Could it have been a bad batch?

My car doesn't have a spare. The factory puts a can of its proprietary (?) "sealer" in a plastic container. I won't use it. I bought a plug kit and keep a pair of needle nose pliers in the trunk. The car came with an inflator that plugs into the cigarette lighter.

My car doesn't have a spare. The factory puts a can of its proprietary (?) "sealer" in a plastic container. I won't use it. I bought a plug kit and keep a pair of needle nose pliers in the trunk. The car came with an inflator that plugs into the cigarette lighter.

does your car have room for a full-size spare? :unsure:

Final Update

It still held air almost a year later :D

I finally got new tires, as they only had 3/32 left, almost down to the wear bars.

Yes, I disclosed the slime to the installer.

Slime is good for up to one year, I think. My friend just put Slime in his bicycle tire although I offered to properly fix or replace the tube instead. Will see how it holds up. It's been two weeks.

My Mini doesn't have room for a spare because the centrally located sport exhaust on the R59 doesn't allow for the standard Mini spare cubby hole. Instead, I have a less deep compartment for tools and contraband under the trunk liner. I could probably shoehorn in a donut behind the passenger seat but the donut can't go on the front due to the size of the brake calipers and I don't want to potentially have to swap front and rear tires. Tire plug kit and inflator for me. I don't go near Slime. I used to have run-flats.

Last edited:
Slime is good for up to one year, I think. My friend just put Slime in his bicycle tire although I offered to properly fix or replace the tube instead. Will see how it holds up. It's been two weeks.

My Mini doesn't have room for a spare because the centrally located sport exhaust on the R59 doesn't allow for the standard Mini cubby hole. Instead, I have a less deep cubby compartment for tools and contraband under the trunk liner. I could probably shoehorn in a donut behind the passenger seat but the donut can't go on the front due to the size of the brake calipers and I don't want to potentially have to swap front and rear tires. Tire plug kit and inflator for me. I don't go near Slime.

Wait, an exhaust takes up extra space? :eek:

You're not supposed to put the donut on the front, anyway, You're not supposed to use the donut on the drive axle.

Back