What do you think of Slime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think about putting Slime in car/truck tires? I tried some in my motorcycle front (tube) tire because a flat at highway speed can be very dangerous, but I don't think it worked very good. The front tire always felt out of balance even though the tire was balanced before putting in the Slime. I could not use and old tube with Slime on a new tire because of this balance problem.

I have used Fix-A-Flat so I could drive off the main highway to fix the tire properly, and it seemed to work. FAF if different than Slime: It is more liquid.

A mechanic friend of mine that sometimes replaces tires get mad when he pops a tire off the rim and Slime oozes out all over his machine. He has a clause on the service order that tells the customer he will charge them extra if he has to clean Slime off his machine.

My take on it is that if you have it it (fix a flat/slime) it could save a tow bill if your spare is flat. In case of a motorcycle one wouldn't have the choice of a spare. Use either product and when it comes time to get the tire repaired tell the shop you used said product before the work is done. I believe in transparency between shop and customer and have found if you're upfront with them then they will likely be up front with you. I'd tell your friend to start asking if the tire has either product in it before putting it on the machine, he choose that profession, there are ups and downs to everything. Life's to short to worry about spilled milk.

I've never had luck with FaF or Slime.Being water based they rust rims too.

I've used that product in my mountain bikes. Never worked out and you can't patch the tube with that junk in there either. Total waste of $$$

Slime worked well for my Wheelbarrow, don't think I'd use it on the road.

Fix a Flat can be safer than a road side tire change.

Originally Posted By: Loobed
Originally Posted By: expat

Fix a Flat can be safer than a road side tire change.

Yep, that is why I carry it.

but calling a tow truck can be cheaper than paying for new tpms sensor and to have the FAF cleaned out of rim and tire.

The Miata doesn't have space for a spare. It came stock with run flats, and a compressor, but it didn't come with it when we got the car. I put in a bottle of Slime, tire plugs, and a compressor that plugs into the cigarette outlet. Hopefully it doesn't get a flat because it will be a pain trying to patch it up on the side of the road.

I have owned a car with no spare since 05. Only one time have I been stranded, had to wait an hour for a flatbed (can't tow it on a hook).

My car shipped with a ridiculous little compressor and an integrated can of fix-a-flat built in. I never even tried it.

I keep 2 cans of FAF in the trunk around town. It did get me home once. I can't even use a jack on the side of the road because of very low ground clearance!

Originally Posted By: expat
Slime worked well for my Wheelbarrow, don't think I'd use it on the road.

Exactly the same here. Great for farm equipment tires.

But I don't trust the goo in a wheel, where it might react on alloys. Can't imagine it's all that desirable for a TPS either, despite what they say.

From everything I've ever heard about Slime, I think it should be left in its bottle on the store shelf.

All I will say is that since 98% of my work is with tire repair, tire change overs and such, is that that stuff and "fix a flat" both suck. I have seen people drive with a tire that has that [censored] in it and it destroys the tire is what I have seen. Fix the tire properly, do NOT use that stuff.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I have owned a car with no spare since 05. Only one time have I been stranded, had to wait an hour for a flatbed (can't tow it on a hook).

My car shipped with a ridiculous little compressor and an integrated can of fix-a-flat built in. I never even tried it.

I keep 2 cans of FAF in the trunk around town. It did get me home once. I can't even use a jack on the side of the road because of very low ground clearance!

An SRT8 can be hooked if the tow jockey knows what he is doing. How do I know? I've done it.

Slime? I wouldn't put it in my lawn and garden equipment, not to mention my vehicles.

If I have a flat or a leak it will get fixed correctly, not jury rigged with that garbage.

I have used slime in one application.

Tractor tires on my farm mowing tractor.

I mow about 10 acres and some paths.

bought new 4ply front tires and punctured both on thorns.

slime works for that application.

HoneylocustThorns01.jpg

Slime is great for lawn equipment. I had issues with tires on both lawn tractor and its trailer, and slime fixes them permanently.

Certainly good in the correct application!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Slime is great for lawn equipment. I had issues with tires on both lawn tractor and its trailer, and slime fixes them permanently.

Certainly good in the correct application!

My Husqvarna owners manual specifically recommends Slime or equivalant in the tires. Brand new I had tires losing air and after the slime - no more issues. Same for my son's little ATV and my wheelbarrow - worked great. I won't slime on any cars/trucks or motorcyles however. Fix the tire right is my opinion there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back