Oil for old cars (no cats)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another good alternative which works wondefully (much experience with BTW) is a high quality diesel engine oil. They are super fortified with AW, detergents, etc. and transition very well. I know of 20+ Rolls Royce Shadows each valued in the millions that run the Delvac 1300S and oil analsys, oil usage, etc. are excellent
George Morrison

[ August 13, 2002, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: GeorgeCLS ]

Geeze, if owned a RR I'd go with Delvac 1 or hire another guy to help me formulate a new oil for the RR market.

Yes, it is amazing, but they feel more comfortable with the 1300S... Some of them "use/Leak' coolant very badly and the only alternative is to simply change oil, frequently.. Sometimes as much as 2 or 3 times in a long weekend if they are touring..
George

quote:

Originally posted by GeorgeCLS:
Yes, it is amazing, but they feel more comfortable with the 1300S... Some of them "use/Leak' coolant very badly and the only alternative is to simply change oil, frequently.. Sometimes as much as 2 or 3 times in a long weekend if they are touring..
George

from what i have read, the older rolls are very sensitive to coolant corrosion and you should change it often when using the green stuff. A solution would be to use a less corrosive coolant like G-05 or SynLube.

I have a collection of old owner's manuals for various American cars- fifties thru the seventies. none recommends anything over 30W. Most recommend 10W30. Even for the fifties cars.

Since part of this thread is discussing the merits of straight weight vs multigrade, I will pose a question. I have read that if your engine overheats (not necessarily severely) you are better off with a multigrade than a straight weight. This seems to be opposite what one would expect. Can anybody shed light on this?

Valvoline All Climate 15w40 has higher zinc and phosphorus levels, more like a heavy duty engine oil. Or what about running one of the so-called "high mileage" oils. Some of them are SJ I believe and are thicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back