Oil for N55

I'm planning on helping a friend do an oil change on his 2015 435i gran coupe.

Based off of everything that I've read on here, LL-01 isn't the most important for older N series engines, besides N20. As I'm good with anything that had the LL-01 approval before BMW update its requirements for the N20 timing chain test and the new B series engines for longer OCIs.

Is this true for the N55, or just for the N52/N51?

I was thinking about Castrol 0w-40.

Thanks

I'm planning on helping a friend do an oil change on his 2015 435i gran coupe.

Based off of everything that I've read on here, LL-01 isn't the most important for older N series engines, besides N20. As I'm good with anything that had the LL-01 approval before BMW update its requirements for the N20 timing chain test and the new B series engines for longer OCIs.

Is this true for the N55, or just for the N52/N51?

I was thinking about Castrol 0w-40.

Thanks
Yep!

Ugh. He already order the Mann filter and gasket kit per my recommendation. And I just went to check on Walmart's website, and it's out of stock....

What are my other options.? The only 2 others that are in stock are Castrol and Valvoline 5w-40. I was hoping to get this done soon, as he's over due.

I guess I could just order off of Walmart or Amazon, but I prefer not to.

I'll pass this onto him.

Ugh. He already order the Mann filter and gasket kit per my recommendation. And I just went to check on Walmart's website, and it's out of stock....

What are my other options.? The only 2 others that are in stock are Castrol and Valvoline 5w-40. I was hoping to get this done soon, as he's over due.

I guess I could just order off of Walmart or Amazon, but I prefer not to.

I'll pass this onto him.
Valvoline before Castrol 5W40.
Before those, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40.
Mobil1 0W40 (I am not thrilled with amount of SAPS for DI engines in M1, but N55 has very good PCV).

Valvoline before Castrol 5W40.
Before those, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40.
Mobil1 0W40 (I am not thrilled with amount of SAPS for DI engines in M1, but N55 has very good PCV).
Thanks Edy.

I'll go for the Castrol 0w40, which it says they don't have. If they don't have that, I'll go Valvoline 5w40.

I only run the Castrol 5w40, because that was all they had, and I was doing an OFHG replacement the same day.

Unfortunately, they don't have the Mobil 1 0w-40 either.

They don't even sell the Pennzoil 5w-40 at my Walmart.

I know that we're on the topic of LL-01 (kinda) oils. Would their be any reason to go LL-04 in the N55? I would assume not due to the lack of a particulate filter?

Thanks Edy.

I'll go for the Castrol 0w40, which it says they don't have. If they don't have that, I'll go Valvoline 5w40.

I only run the Castrol 5w40, because that was all they had, and I was doing an OFHG replacement the same day.

Unfortunately, they don't have the Mobil 1 0w-40 either.

They don't even sell the Pennzoil 5w-40 at my Walmart.

I know that we're on the topic of LL-01 (kinda) oils. Would their be any reason to go LL-04 in the N55? I would assume not due to the lack of a particulate filter?
You can go LL04 Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 inWal Mart with no issues. Change at 5k.

You can go LL04 Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 inWal Mart with no issues. Change at 5k.
Okay, here's what they have in stock right now:

Mobil 1 0w40
Valvoline 5w40
Castrol 5w40

What would your pick be if you had to choose between these 3?

Back